Number Of Entries

13 replies to this topic

#1 Kurt

Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 07:45 AM

Now the new photo of the week rules are in place, I note that we are still getting comments and marked which is quite nice, but they do seem to have reduced in numbers, or perhaps my pics don't attract sad.gif .

However some participants do seem to believe that they have many, many "photos of the week". There is a case for reducing individual entries to two-three at least.

I wouldn't want to plough through all these.

Aside: yippee my image got shortlisted biggrin.gif and I got a vote . . . biggrin.gif

#2 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 10:03 AM

I expected the number of comments to drop off slightly now that the new voting system is in place.

I'm not planning to change the format of the contest, except for the voting, so you can still enter as many photos as you want. I really don't mind looking through them all smile.gif

Congrats on being shortlisted!
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#3 ericablu

ericablu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 12:30 AM

I agree that i have seen people post more photos of the week than they should, but i don' t think that enough do it to justify changing the rules. plus, if it were a rule that only truly good photos could be posted, then i couldn't participate at all! smile.gif

#4 gav_davies

gav_davies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:06 AM

#5 ericablu

ericablu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 02:57 PM

No, I agree completely. I am satisfied with the fact that, regardless of comments, the better photos make it into the "finals", though. I would have more of an issue if the winner was determined by votes alone.

#6 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:24 PM

That was exactly how the contest winner was originally decided - on user votes alone - until the Great Vote Rigging Scandal of 2004 :-)

I'm glad that people think that I'm picking the best photos for the overall vote biggrin.gif
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#7 gav_davies

gav_davies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:16 PM

Yep, can't argue with the photos you are picking. :0)

#8 gav_davies

gav_davies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 05:32 PM

I think it's time for me to leave anyway. Not sure why I got a couple of 1's for my latest two photos (although it seems this has happened to a lot of people - josiahq has taken the mickey):

http://www.photograp...&cat=500&page=1

http://www.photograp...&cat=500&page=1

Good luck to everyone with their photography...

#9 ericablu

ericablu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 04:03 AM

I would hope that something so silly would not send you away for good. You, I, and everyone else knows who takes nice pictures and who is thirteen. . .

#10 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 08:50 AM

Remember that the votes that you receive during the course of the week have no bearing on which photos I choose for the overall vote.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#11 skmdc

skmdc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Family, children, nature, writing, photography.

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:36 PM

Just happened on this. I'm probably one of the dolts entering too many photos. Sorry--I'll limit myself from here on to no more than three a week. It's not that I think all my photos are that good, it's just a "what if?" kind of thing I guess.

On the upside, I CAN'T BELIEVE MY PHOTO WAS SHORTLISTED!!!! I was so thrilled I about fell over. Thank you. As a novice it was a big thrill. That was such an experimental shot anyway (Mums the Word) it was total surprise.

#12 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 08:52 AM

I really liked that shot - the sort of thing that your kids will treasure when they grow up, as opposed to most people's embarassing family snaps.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#13 mikehulsebus

mikehulsebus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 07:31 AM

I think they main reason people (I too was guilty a coupla weeks ago to some extent with 3 baseball game related images) submit so many images is they realize that there are a wide variety of people on this site, and each have their own specific tastes in photos. By "shotgunning" their images--that is to say throwing out a bunch of images and hoping they hit something--they hope to have a better chance at becoming shortlisted or photo of the week.

And as a by the way, I agree that Mark consistently is shortlisting the photos that should be

#14 fdinaro

fdinaro

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Location:3rd Rock from the Sun in a small town called New York.
  • Interests:Photography,baseball , Ham radio.

Posted 23 July 2004 - 02:59 PM

Mark must to go through all the photo's.If he does not mind then I don't see a problem.Some weeks you may have 6 photo's good enough to post and other weeks nothing.It all evens out. You must take into consideration we are in the summer months for most of us. biggrin.gif
"Leave the gun. Take the canolies." ...Frank

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users