4 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Andrew Nicholls

Richard Andrew Nicholls

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:51 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm after a bit of advice regarding Digital Compact Cameras.

I'm a climber, both of Rock and Ice and a mountaineer. I currently have a Canon 20D which I take walking and on most mountain routes but I've found a couple of issues.

Firstly, it's heavy when on a big mountain. I was in the Alps last week and on a big mountain - 3476m - and the canon was a nightmare to try to carry and use. I gave up in the end and shoved it in my pack.

Secondly, as above, on bigger routes it's in the pack and not available for those great shots that my mates always seem to get. And it's not even with me on rock routes or Scottish winter climbs, it's to big and awkward.

What I need then, is a compact. One that I can slig round my neck, shove down my top and grab quickly for those important moments. I need a compact that has loads of megapixels - I don't want a huge loss in quality from the 20D - and I'd like one that either shoots RAW or TIFF and not just JPEG (if there is one). I will need one with a zoom facility (for those long scared facial expressions).

Can anyone recommend such a camera?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Rich

#2 stewart bywater

stewart bywater

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:51 PM

If you can find one, you might consider a Konica Minolta A200. A book was recently published of photographs taken with this camera in extreme icy conditions. I will try and find my copy of Amateur Photographer in which I read about it. The photos are excellent, and the photographer said that the only problem was keeping the batteries warm enough to operate the camera. (He took a spare set, which he kept in a... er.... warm part of his clothing and swapped when necessary.)

#3 Tombob

Tombob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:25 PM

I know what you mean, the slr size is sometimes too big when out and about.
I started with a Canon powershot A80, which i loved for its size and quality, unfortuntely i had to sell to raise cash for an upgreade. But i do miss it dearly now.

in your situation, id be tempted with a fairly high mega-pixel IXUS as they are so small and easy to carry (almost unoticable). But depending on what you want it may not be up to the job.
As soon as i have the cash an IXUS is on my list so that it can stay in my pocket 24/7.

tom

#4 hockeyshooter

hockeyshooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Freelance sports photographer also covering travel, landscapes and wildlife.

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:29 PM

If its of any help, an Italian friend of mine recently summited Everest with a Canon A85.

http://everest.open.ac.uk/

Lithium AAs helped with the cold.

Chris.

#5 richard crowe

richard crowe

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:01 PM

Maybe not what you're after but worth a thought. I also liked the idea of a 'have everywhere' camera. I have my slr with me a lot of the time - but not all the time. My goal then was size. If you want ultra compact which takes good quality pics, you could look at the Casio S600. I got one off Amazon for 159 which is very cheap. It has 6mp adn a 3 times optical and is only credit card sized. It stays in my shirt or jacket pocket all the time now for that 'you never know when' moment. I have been pleased with the picture quality so far. Mind you if you were up a mountain and had gloves on etc this might be a bit small and fidgety.
Richard Crowe

Visit My Website

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users