Help Please For Flash Cards!

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rob_*

Guest_Rob_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2004 - 08:05 PM

Ok I am ready to order my new camera the Canon S60. I am looking for any advise here. I know that I will need to purchase a higher memory flash card. The problem is whis one? The site is showing MANY different options and I want to make the best choice possible! Here are my choices:
-Lexar Media 256MB Compact-Flash 12x HighSpeed Card
-Lexar Media 256MB Compact-Flash 40x Professional HighSpeed Card
-Lexar Media 256MB Compact-Flash 4x Card
-Sandisk 256MB Compact Flash Card
-Sandisk 256MB Extreme Compact Flash Card
-Sandisk 256MB Ultra Compact Flash Card
-Sandisk 256MB Ultra II Compact Flash Card
Is there a better make Sandisk or Lexar? And what are the differences for speed? What benefits are there in picture taking? This is my first digital camera experience. ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 Kurt

Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:28 AM

I can't comment on the reliability or otherwise between Lexar or Sandisk, but if you are thinking that 256Mb is the most memory you can go for I would purchase two 128Mb instead to avoid keeping all my eggs in one basket, although in my experience memory cards are quite reliable I have had one give intermitent problems.

#3 Herve

Herve

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:31 AM

Hello,

There is a link to a compactflash performance database:

http://www.robgalbra...ge.asp?cid=6007

I do think the best performance is only for those taking a lot of RAW pictures with high end camera.

If I were you, I would buy one compactflash with the best ratio capacity/price. Then if you feel the write or read times are awfull; try to get a dream card in test so that you can test the difference.

In my personnal case, I know that the write time of one TIF picture is 19 seconds on my two Smarmedia (Mmore and Sandisk). So it is quite easy to test a new card comming to the market.

Hope it helps,

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users