Potw Voting

5 replies to this topic

#1 richard crowe

richard crowe

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:39 PM

Just a thought - but I have noticed a pattern forming with POTW (its not that Mark64 has won the last three in a row!! - though that is some pattern smile.gif ) and the way the voting works. Usually you get two or sometimes three photos which are the most popular and these stream ahead in the voting. The problem then is that those who have not voted see this and become influenced by it. I myself am guilty of it. eg if 2 photos had around 15 votes each and the next one after that was 3 or 4 - it is obvious that one of the two at 15 is more likely to win. Therefore instead of choosing from all the photos, you are more likely to pick from one of the 2 with the highest votes.

I know that there may be limitations within the software used for potw, but was wondering if it would be a good idea not to show the progress until the end of the week - or if that is not possible, the only other option would be to make the score only available to members - ie remove the score so that non members / not logged in members cannot see the scores.

Cheers

Richard
Richard Crowe

Visit My Website

#2 onelegout

onelegout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:13 AM

If I remember correctly, You can't view the results until you have voted. If you want to view the results straight away you have to pass a null vote!

But I might be wrong!
H

#3 gazmaster

gazmaster

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 08 October 2006 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (onelegout @ Oct 8 2006, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I remember correctly, You can't view the results until you have voted. If you want to view the results straight away you have to pass a null vote!

But I might be wrong!
H

There is a way round it, by actually not signing in, you can then view the results before you vote, maybe this is a slight bug.

Gary ph34r.gif
Regards

G@zz@

#4 smarti

smarti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:http://www.redbubble.com/people/smarti77

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:57 AM

Are there any measures in place to prevent people having mulitple logins and therefore multiple votes?
It would be reassuring to know that this exists to prevent cheating.

#5 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

We can track IP addresses, so if one person setup several accounts and used the same PC to access them, we'd know.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#6 desertpea

desertpea

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:00 PM

rivc has a point in not showing the voting until the results are finalised. This happens on Photozo. For me, the only reason for showing the votes throughout the voting period is so that the person whose photo has been picked can check what's going on - and (this has happened in the past) get everyone they know to vote for him/her.

I hadn't realized that you could see the number of votes and THEN vote - a definite no-no in my view.

Let's have a bit of tension and keep us in suspenders until the final votes are in - then we can see who did what, where and to whom.

Jan

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users