Tools For Accurate Color Repro

No replies to this topic

#1 britton

britton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 02:49 PM

I am posting this forum in the hopes of finding out the best way to resolve the following situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PREFACE: I recently purchased the new Sony F828 (8 megPixel, 4-color CCD) in order to accurately reproduce the color, detail, and complexity of some large scale artwork produced by client, Paige Harvey.

SUBJECT: Oil Painting on Canvas, dimensions ranging from 2 feet x 3 feet (2'x3') to as large as 12 feet by 12 feet (12'x12'). The entire surface of the canvas is covered using special oil paints that give her the greatest possible range of colors, textures, etc. These paintings are extremely detailed and color reproduction is extremely important both for close ups and for regular shots.

GOAL: I am hoping to generate a set of reference images as large as possible that I can easily apply transforms depending on the final disposition of the image. In other words, I would be able to downsample for web-work, or generate high-resolution CMYK seperations for high-end color print work.

OBSTACLES
  • SPACE - I need to photograph the images from her downtown Atlanta studio.
  • LIGHTING - I am not sure how to accurately control the lighting on a subject this large.
  • FOCUS - Because the detail is of such high importance, color noise must be minimized without losing detail
I have tried a number of different options and have had some mediocre success at reproducing the color/complexity of the images. Before I explain what I have tried, please give me some input on what you might suggest.

Again, I appreciate any help you are able to give.

p.s. An example of the subject matter can be found at her website: Paige Harvey Art

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users