Nikkor Or Sigma

3 replies to this topic

#1 MapMan

MapMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:05 AM

In some ways a bit of a stupind question perhaps, but I have rececently upgraded back to full SLR on a semi-pro basic. I bought a Nikon D80 with Nikkor 18-135mmD and then bought the Sigma 10-20mmD. I am now am looking at the Nikkor 80-400 which would ideally compliement the two lenses. Yes it has VR on it and that must be taken into consideration.

However, looking around I see that Sigma (for example) offer a 135-400 and also a 50-500 at obviously considerably lesser price. Now on an absolute level there will obviously be no comparision in quality but in relative terms is there really a great deal of difference?

I am often out in the country (on Exmoor for example) and having a good tele lens would be good for grab shots of wildlife.

What comments or suggestions does anyone else have please?

#2 fdinaro

fdinaro

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Location:3rd Rock from the Sun in a small town called New York.
  • Interests:Photography,baseball , Ham radio.

Posted 15 December 2006 - 06:45 PM

I have the Sigma 50-500 I use it on my D2x. Great lens very heavy,sharper and cheaper then the Nikon 80-400 vr. You might want to try the new Nikon 70-300 vr. it looks to be a winner biggrin.gif
"Leave the gun. Take the canolies." ...Frank

#3 Photography by Nelson

Photography by Nelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Location:Cayuga lake in Finger Lakes Region of New York State, USA
  • Interests:Photography and fishing. I love film and shot with Nikons and my field camera which is a Pentax 6x7. Favorite lenses are my Nikons 24-120, 24-50, 50mm 1.4, I also have 90-300mm and a 1.4 matched multiplier. The Pentax 6x7 is a fantastic medium format with 50mm, 150mm and a 105mm. Lots of filters, 2 Bogan tripods. I use a Minolta IVF light meter for the Pentax.

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (MapMan @ Oct 29 2006, 05:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In some ways a bit of a stupind question perhaps, but I have rececently upgraded back to full SLR on a semi-pro basic. I bought a Nikon D80 with Nikkor 18-135mmD and then bought the Sigma 10-20mmD. I am now am looking at the Nikkor 80-400 which would ideally compliement the two lenses. Yes it has VR on it and that must be taken into consideration.

However, looking around I see that Sigma (for example) offer a 135-400 and also a 50-500 at obviously considerably lesser price. Now on an absolute level there will obviously be no comparision in quality but in relative terms is there really a great deal of difference?

I am often out in the country (on Exmoor for example) and having a good tele lens would be good for grab shots of wildlife.

I have been into photography a good number of years and if I've learned nothing else "you get what you pay for."

#4 FiZZ

FiZZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE (MapMan @ Oct 29 2006, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've had limited experience with Sigma (a total of three lenses from super wide to wide to telephoto), and I was disappointed with most. I found their telephoto range to be quite decent and cheaper than Nikon.

However, on the long run I suggest Nikon, since they are made specifically for the lens by the camera manufacturer, so you can't go wrong in terms of compatibility.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users