Gallery Upgrade - Your Feedback

35 replies to this topic

#1 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:19 PM

Let us know what you think of the new Gallery, good or bad, in this thread.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#2 Amandart

Amandart

• Advanced Members 300
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15,464 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:25 PM

Handsome new look. Seems to load much faster too. It's nice to put the face with the comment, but I'll have to change my photo, or put on a disguise in case I say something bad. wink.gif

#3 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:17 PM

Good to hear things are loading more quickly, that's one of the main aims that we were trying to achieve. biggrin.gif
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#4 Bridget

Bridget

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,023 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy playing the piano,my job with the elderly,and of course photography.

Posted 06 December 2006 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (markgoldstein @ Dec 6 2006, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good to hear things are loading more quickly, that's one of the main aims that we were trying to achieve. biggrin.gif

Lovely new look Mark i think it looks very much more up to date,love the colours.well done you must be pleased with it.I am surprised many more comments have not been written
Bridget

#5 stewart bywater

stewart bywater

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:06 PM

Overall I think it looks great, although the loading time seems about the same to me. (It's fast enough anyway!)

My one concern is that the strong blue lines might overpower the photos somewhat. Does anyone else agree?

#6 p14wry

p14wry

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:52 PM

being a newbie ish to photography i liked the exif info on view so i could learn what settings etc were used i know its just a click to get it but i liked it on view with the pic !!!!
i also think where you rate the pic needs some adjustment either numbering or the excellent moving to the end instead of under poor a little confusing if you havent used the site b4
but the look of the site is great

#7 Amandart

Amandart

• Advanced Members 300
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15,464 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:23 AM

2 changes I noticed: when going through my gallery I cannot sort by title;
and after a member makes a comment on a photo there is no button for his/her gallery, only their profile. I miss that.

I do like the puzzle option, that's a nice touch. biggrin.gif

#8 Jogi

Jogi

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:10 AM

Hi,

Certainly an improvement in the downloads time. Lots of nice little extras , I especially like the ability to scan through past comments at the bottom of the front page , jusy needs a few tweaks here and there I'm sure .For instance 'excellant' should be at the end of the rating row .Tend to agree with Stewart about ther strong blue lines , find monochrome images especially looking a bit uncomfortable.

Take care Jogi
'There is no point pressing the shutter unless you are making some caustic comment on the incongruities of life. That is what photography is all about. It is the only reason for doing it.'......Philip Jones Griffiths

My gallery

#9 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:39 AM

Quick question for everyone - would you miss the Random Images section on the main page if we removed it?

Just wondering how many of you actually think its useful...
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#10 chappo1

chappo1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,726 posts
  • Interests:Australian wildlife, photography, red wine. White wine if there is no red and.... (Is wife beating a hobby or a passtime? ).<br />language- As you may gather from some of my smart arse comments....

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (markgoldstein @ Dec 7 2006, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quick question for everyone - would you miss the Random Images section on the main page if we removed it?

Just wondering how many of you actually think its useful...

I would not miss the random images but I commented on the "bugs" section that the camera exposure data is gone. That I do miss. I was not sure where toa report that - hopefully it is a bug and will return. Also it is hard to judge on a one off but I think it is reacting more slowly for me.
We're off to see the Lizard~~the wonderful (sic) Lizard of Oz~~

#11 Badger

Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:28 AM

Its like losing an old friend! I think the colour scheme is a bit bright and does interfere with the enjoyment of the photographs. I would not miss the random images section at all, especially once you have left the main gallery pages.

#12 Jogi

Jogi

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:34 AM

Hi,
No, I would not miss random images, perhaps a compromise by leaving an option to click for random images as you have done with exif info which is listed under other info under the photo.....Jogi
'There is no point pressing the shutter unless you are making some caustic comment on the incongruities of life. That is what photography is all about. It is the only reason for doing it.'......Philip Jones Griffiths

My gallery

#13 McKenzie

McKenzie

• Advanced Members 300
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts
  • Interests:Classic Motorcycles, Martial Arts ( mostly Karate and Tai Chi and Kendo), Walking, Dogs and Dog Training, Rugby, wildlife and old mine exploration, mineral collecting.

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:22 PM

Hi,
Overall I think the 'new look' is fine and there are some great new features, but I agree with Stewart's comment to some degree.

I would not miss the Random images, but Jogi's idea of haviing a click to view them option is a good one!

When someone leaves a comment it would be nice to have a direct link to thier gallery as used to be the case.

Regards
Steve
You don't take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams

#14 p14wry

p14wry

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 08:58 PM

where and what is the puzzle option ????

#15 stewart bywater

stewart bywater

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:55 PM

I would definitely miss the random images. I have discovered many beautiful images through this part of the site, and it also gives my photos a 'second chance' on the front page from time to time.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users