Photo

What's You Favorite Digital Photo Editing Book?

1 reply to this topic

#1 jayhav

jayhav

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:27 PM

I've been doing work in Photoshop for years, but have recently had a number of friends ask me for advice on how they can learn how to do retouching / image clean up in Photoshop.

Previously I've always steered them to the newbie applications and the basic features. But now that a couple of them have put in the bucks for DSLRs, they are getting more serious about learning some real Photoshop tricks.

What books would people recommend for these types of people?

Assume they know the basics of photoshop but, like many, have never used it for actually editing real photos.

There are hundreds of books out there, but short of looking at the Amazon sales rank I have no way to know which are better than others. Every author claims to be the authority.

Thanks for the input.

#2 shutterblitz

shutterblitz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:58 PM

I had the same problem. Trial and error can be a great teacher, but its impractical and time consuming, as I unfortunately discovered.

I have worked in a pretty high-end digital image processing and electronic pre-press house for a while. They employed Gretag Macbeth and Ugra/FOGRA systems for colour management and profiling. The image manipulation techniques used there are pretty systematic.

By those standards, here is a small list of books I have found pretty good and accurate in real-life working scenarios. Some may be slightly outdated, but the rules of thumb still remain. Besides, you may get good bargains on these.

'Professional Photoshop 6: The Classic Guide to Color Correction' by Dan Margulis / John Wiley & Sons

"Adobe Photoshop 6.0 for Photographers" by Martin Evening / Focal Press

"Photoshop 6 Photo-Retouching Secrets" by Scott Kelby / New Riders Publishing

I have not read any of the latest books on the subject. There may be newer editions of the of the same books. Hope this helps.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users