11 replies to this topic

#1 mad-donna

mad-donna

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:28 PM

Hi,
I'm on the lookout for a telephoto zoom for my 400d, mainly to be used for wildlife shots.I have narrowed it down to three that are within my price range, they are as follows: Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM, the Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO and the Tamron 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 XR Di LD

The Canon is really out of my price range but if the photo quality well exceeds the other two I would have to consider it.

Any advice as to which one I should go for would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Donna

#2 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:49 PM

I'd go for the Canon lens if you can afford it. Ignore the Tamron superzoom, as it will offer poorer quality than the two dedicated telephoto lenses.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#3 Paul2007

Paul2007

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (mad-donna @ Aug 20 2007, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
I'm on the lookout for a telephoto zoom for my 400d, mainly to be used for wildlife shots.I have narrowed it down to three that are within my price range, they are as follows: Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM, the Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO and the Tamron 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 XR Di LD

The Canon is really out of my price range but if the photo quality well exceeds the other two I would have to consider it.

Any advice as to which one I should go for would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Donna

[size=5]hi i'm no expert but i agree, go for the canon, but like you i went for the sigma because the canon was out of my price range. but i'm very happy with the sigma, go for it Paul............

#4 mad-donna

mad-donna

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:57 PM

Many thanks for the replies, it's much appreciated smile.gif

Donna

#5 richard crowe

richard crowe

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 08:44 PM

When I got my first dslr a couple of years back, a Canon 350D, I bought the Tamron 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 XR Di LD with it. Yes, if I had had more money I would have bought a Canon 70-200 L or a Canon DO 70-300mm. But at the time it was all I could afford (sob sob)! smile.gif

I have since upgraded to the 30D and although I have bought a Canon L lens (17-40), I have stuck by my Tamron as I feel it takes excellent quality pics. Many of the shots in my gallery are taken with it and I have never had any problems with it. Obviously, If money was not an option I would change it for an L series zoom like the 100-400mm, but alas I dont have a spare grand lying around. For a couple of hundred quid, I have found this lense to be great value for money.

Cheers

Richard
Richard Crowe

Visit My Website

#6 kenp

kenp

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts
  • Interests:My intrests are my camera,,fishing ,and extracting Jack Russel hairs from my sensor!,,,,

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:31 PM

It's amazing how many people put down the Tamron 28/300!,,,,,I'm a pentax man so I dont have much option for the price I can afford!........I have the 28/300 and I find it excellent value for money!...and with a bit of time and effort you can turn out some creditable shots!........from portraits to little birdy's!...lol..........It gets my vote anyway.....................
If I see something I "SHOOT!"

#7 tmat

tmat

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Computers, Electronics,Country Walks and real ale.

Posted 04 September 2007 - 02:55 PM

Up to the point when it packed up I'd always been happy with the results I'd got from my Tamron 28-300 lens far too many people seem to treat this lens as a joke. Unfortunately the cost of repairing it was more than it was worth so sadly I no longer have the use of an extremely versatile unit...... Tony

#8 redlantern

redlantern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:53 PM

mad-donna,

I agree.... go for the Canon. I have that lens and LOVE IT! The IS is terrific. I bought a Sigma lens on my last trip to Hong Kong and have been disappointed. I should have picked up another Canon. If you can afford a bit more you will not be disappointed.

Cheers,

Red Lantern

http://www.redlanternstyle.com

#9 Fidgety

Fidgety

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:54 PM

I have that lens, and i don't like it - at the long zoom, pics are "wooly" and lack contrast.
Fidgety

#10 mad-donna

mad-donna

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:21 AM

I eventually opted for the Canon, I am quite happy with the lens, however I do agree with Fidgety at the 300mm end the shots are not as sharp as I would like. I've tried using a tripod but they still appear quite soft....I think this is a common problem with any lenses within this price range.
I'm saving up for the Canon 100-400mm L lens....it might take a while though, they are so expensive!

Donna

#11 redlantern

redlantern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:01 AM

Donna,

Thanks for letting us know which lens you went with. Of course there is always the next lens on the wish list, but I have the same problem....they keep going up in price range.

Cheers,
RedLantern

#12 hedward

hedward

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Sports Photographer and Wedding Photography service based in Wakefield serving clients in Leeds, Wakefield, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Dewsbury and the rest of Yorkshire in the United Kingdom

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:38 PM

I've shot with a Tokina 200mm F2.8 for while now. Very sturdy lens
but oh my the fringeing!!

Lately my Canon 135mm F2.8 has been oh so beautiful. Sharp as
a tack and no problems whatsoever.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users