Software For Post-processing

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mb2000_*

Guest_mb2000_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2004 - 01:22 PM

Hi everyone,

I`m having a digital Camera with 7MP`s, when i want to upload files to the Web like Gallery here, i need to resize them to 640x480 for instance, but they wont get so much smaller in file size.

Is there a good tool to resize images in filesize and images sizes, perhapt automatically / batch job?

Thx for helping me out ,

#2 Herve

Herve

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:32 AM

If it is just a matter of resizing, I would recommend Irfanview.
It is free !
It has a Batch Conversion/Rename functionality that can convert full directories to whatever size you want.

More at http://www.irfanview.com/

#3 nickglandon

nickglandon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:41 PM

I've found ACDSee 6 to be a great tool for resizing or whatever you want to do to your Digital Pictures.

#4 JClimbs

JClimbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 09:16 PM

A straight run from 7MP to such a small size will yield poor results.
I run a macro (in PhotoImpact 8) that shrinks file size in 10% increments interspersed with very slight sharpening, contrast, and tonal adjustments. I've found this produces the best results.
Most decent graphics programs provide for such automated tasks; if yours does, play around with various stepped procedures and pick the one that does the best job.
Of course, you're losing a lot of data, so don't expect miracles.

#5 berean

berean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:37 AM

You might also want to consider Picasa... I've found it to be a great complement to PhotoShop for basic tasks (like tagging photos and keeping track of them!).

It's a free download: http://www.picasa.com/picasa/

#6 Tarbuthnot

Tarbuthnot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 07:34 PM

Breezebrowser from Breesys.com is the best I've used.

#7 Andy_mac

Andy_mac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (mb2000 @ Oct 1 2004, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi everyone,

I`m having a digital Camera with 7MP`s, when i want to upload files to the Web like Gallery here, i need to resize them to 640x480 for instance, but they wont get so much smaller in file size.

Is there a good tool to resize images in filesize and images sizes, perhapt automatically / batch job?

Thx for helping me out ,

I had a similar problem and with a lot of help from a friend, we have written some software to transfer photos direct from high resolution source files to DPF (Digital Picture frames) after Dropping and Dragging thumbnails into required order. These can then be magnified or previewed as a slideshow before saving as a list for future use. So with a master set of pictures you can create customised photo presentations while only storing the original files and transferring the data direct to internal memory of DPF or folder for the Web. I am sure you could adapt it for your use. Its in beta but importantly it is free.

Andrew

#8 Reclusive

Reclusive

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Well how about Photography, like I suppose it had to be.<br />Cooking, well as I travel around the world I suppose I have to eat.<br />Travel, although I am not keen on the flying bit. No I am not scared of flying, it is all the waiting and security thing that screws it up.

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:41 AM

Have a look at GIMP, oh and its free. Which is the kind of price I like to pay.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users