6 replies to this topic

#1 imprima

imprima

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:57 PM

Hi... How are you, friends?

Accidentally I've formatted my 4GB sd card in windows: my operation system is XP Professional Edition, service pack 2.
Now, when I use the card, my digital camera doesn't recognize the memory and appears message to format the card. When I press OK, another message: CHECK SD CARD.

Some days Later, I formatted again, first in FAT and today in FAT16. My windows reads normally the card, but my digital camera.......

What can I do to recoup my card to use in my digital camera?

Thanks for your usually attention.

#2 kenp

kenp

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts
  • Interests:My intrests are my camera,,fishing ,and extracting Jack Russel hairs from my sensor!,,,,

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (imprima @ Oct 19 2007, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Accidentally I've formatted my 4GB sd card in windows: my operation system is XP Professional Edition, service pack 2.
Now, when I use the card, my digital camera doesn't recognize the memory and appears message to format the card. When I press OK, another message: CHECK SD CARD.

Some days Later, I formatted again, first in FAT and today in FAT16. My windows reads normally the card, but my digital camera.......

It sounds the obvious answer ......Have you tried formatting it in your camera?.....................
If I see something I "SHOOT!"

#3 imprima

imprima

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (kenp @ Oct 20 2007, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (imprima @ Oct 19 2007, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sounds the obvious answer ......Have you tried formatting it in your camera?.....................

Ok, Yes: in my camera, when I put the card appears the format option: but when I press OK, see the message: CHECK SD CARD. My camera can't format the SD CARD. Is there another way to recoup my card?

#4 Willy Wombat

Willy Wombat

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Interests:Photography and music

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

Hi
You could try this.....leave the card out of the camera and turn it on, you shold get a message to insert a card.....turn the camera off and insert your card....if you get the format card box appear, try it via the setup in your menu rather than pressing yes, if that's what appears....if that dosn't work, if you know someone with a camera that takes sd cards, my D80 does, see if the card can be formatted in another camera, then try it in yours, if you get no error, then reformat the card in your camera...you should always format cards in the camera to avoid any issues.....also check the card is not locked....Check pages 11 and 62 of your manual.

Hope this helps

John
> John

#5 afountou

afountou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (imprima @ Oct 20 2007, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Accidentally I've formatted my 4GB sd card

I had the same problem with my Samsung digimax S600 camera.
I inserted the 4GB card and asked "Format Card?", but when pressed OK just stuck with "CHECK SD CARD" message.
Cannot format it inside the camera. Formatted it with a friends camera, still in my camera memory card didn't work...

It turns out my camera cannot operate with memory larger than 2GB!!!
^__^ I exchanged it with my friend, with the 2GB it works just fine.

Found no relevant information in the manual.

#6 Breakable

Breakable

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:02 PM

I had an SD card problem myself. Basically i was able to fill it with information, but not able to retrieve it (only 2 gb of 8 were working).
I was searching for a simple utility to see what was going on with it,
but was not able to find it.The Happycheesecake test would have helped me,
(http://sdprob.aximsite.com/TheHappycheesecakeTest.htm)
but being the programmer I am I have created a simple command-line utility
for testing the space automatically.
What it does is just fills the storage with information,
and later tries to read this information and check if it did not change.
It requires .Net 2.0 environment installed and fat32 file-system works best.
Because it is using the native file-system for IO it can be compatible with all the media storages that support file read/write,
such as thumb-drives, sd cards, CD-RW or HDD.
Any limitations such as .net requirement, absence of GUI or performance issues will be worked out in the future in case there is interest.

Please check it out at
http://sourceforge.n...ts/spacefiller/
And please include a link in your website (if you have one) in case you find it useful.

#7 Simmonswrq34

Simmonswrq34

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

All right! This problem can be easy or difficult to fix.

In fact, the “not formatting error” message often indicates memory card problems, such as card failure issue, virus attack issue or even computer operating system problems, etc.

In this case, the inner data is always the most important.

Therefore, one always needs to do some steps:

1). Stop using this SD card right now in case that anything else on this card would erase all the inner data completely.

2). Use some free data recovery software to take chances. No matter whether this SD card is actually failed or not, a data recovery freeware could be a good chance to take back all the inner data back. (Since it is free, one always has no need to worry about the money.)

Here are some free ones: http://geeksdo.com/f...a-recovery.html

3). Copy all your restored data on another computer in case of data recovery failure.

4). Do not forget to format this drive for fixing its problem.

5). You have to consult an expert, if data recovery software doesn’t make a sense.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users