#1 nantel

nantel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:http://www.digitalapoptosis.com/about.html

Posted 02 October 2004 - 08:50 PM

What's going on here? I leave the site for a couple of weeks and, after posting my usual POTW, I notice that there already are about 170 entries in the competition.

It looks like some are using the site as their own personal photoblog. If I want to see 100 shots from the same person, I go to their members page.

I kinda liked the new rules but this is getting ridiculous.

Andre

#2 panchals

panchals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 09:40 AM

I've got to agree with Andre on this.

I am not posting that regularly at the moment but I like to come back and see how people are getting on and make my comments.
But the good shots are getting lost and I don't want to go through 15 pages - I thought last week bad enough.

The has to be a limit to how many people can each post, 3 is reasonable - it will also help teach everyone the art of editing.

But, I could be wrong and all the photos are actually as brilliant, as the now average score of 9 would indicate.

regards
Sailesh

#3 fdinaro

fdinaro

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Location:3rd Rock from the Sun in a small town called New York.
  • Interests:Photography,baseball , Ham radio.

Posted 03 October 2004 - 01:09 PM

I agree also 3-5 limit. Potw is just for your best shots. Post all you want in the gallery.How can you spend time and try to comment on 200 photo's. I went to the zoo this weekend and can easily post 20-30 shots.I will pick 3-4 of the best and post them.Next week I will do the same. I can understand people get excited and want to share, this is what the gallery is for.... cool.gif
"Leave the gun. Take the canolies." ...Frank

#4 etfon911

etfon911

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Interests:Love to write, shoot photos and nature.

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:36 AM

....not to mention that some are leaving very low marks (e.g., 4s) and making no comment at all. I know that Mark posted a note on the site somewhere saying that if you give a photo a very low rating, you should make a comment as to why. But can't seem to find it. Agree completely about the number of posts for POTW.

#5 Kurt

Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:09 AM

This has come up before and I have always thought that people should just put in one or two of their favourite shots.

The problem this week is worse than usual and makes it impossible to look through the images.

I usually like going through POTW gallery because of the wide range of styles and subjects.

#6 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 06:27 PM

Hmmmm...it looks like I need to make a change to the POW format!

The only slight technical difficulty is that I can't actually limit how many photos a user can post on a category basis - I would have to check that myself.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#7 nantel

nantel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:http://www.digitalapoptosis.com/about.html

Posted 05 October 2004 - 07:09 PM

Just write in big bold letters that more than three postings will results in all of the applicant's images to be deleted.

#8 fdinaro

fdinaro

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Location:3rd Rock from the Sun in a small town called New York.
  • Interests:Photography,baseball , Ham radio.

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:54 PM

I agree with nantel,but 4 sounds like a fair number. hey I love to shoot rolleyes.gif
"Leave the gun. Take the canolies." ...Frank

#9 Kurt

Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 12:38 PM

You can really only have one "best" of the week. Reducing the number to three does at least make one consider their entry. Just dumping in loads of snapshots is boring for the viewer and must be laborious as well as boring for the judge

#10 Guest_DOYOULIKEIT_*

Guest_DOYOULIKEIT_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2004 - 08:58 PM

I am the GUILTY one !!!
I am sorry I posted so may pics last week.
I agree that 4 would be fair.
Tom

#11 Yakographer

Yakographer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 12:55 AM

I counted 43 posts from one member last week (that was midweek, then I stopped counting).

If Mark can't limit posts with software, we're on the honor system.

But who in their right mind needs that?
Post favorites from your week then get on with your day. If you have more than 4 favorites, you belong somewhere else.

#12 cramer

cramer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 07:04 PM

I'm glad there are others here that feel the same way I do.

Mark, don't get me wrong, you have a great site here....unfortunately I just liked it better when it wasn't so "popular".

Here's to to the 3 post limit!!

#13 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 09:11 AM

Well, the 5 post limit for POTW does seem to be working, as there were a lot less multiple entries in the last couple of weeks.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#14 DSMcL

DSMcL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:23 PM

Hello folks!

Today being my first day here , and this being my second post and all , I hesitated before posting into somewhat of a debate, so please ignore me if this is out of line.

But I was quite surprised to see that you could even submit more than one image for the POTW . I just don't quite understand posting a bunch of photos. Its the photo of the week, not the year, so you have many other chances to submit other photos.

I also find it very difficult to sift through too many pictures and then hope to decide which one I liked best.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I thought the post limit was generous as it is, and I couldn't agree more with pretty much every post in this thread.

So, thanks for having me. I have enjoyed alot of the work posted here and look forward to talking more with all of you and seeing more of your work.

Dave

#15 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:25 AM

Welcome to PhotographyBLOG Dave!

If there was a way of limiting the entry number ona per user basis, I would set it to 1 :-)

Unfortunately the gallery software that I use doesn't have this level of control, so I have to rely on everyone observing the rules...
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users