Voting Potw

14 replies to this topic

#1 Jogi

Jogi

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 06:54 PM

Hi....Is it my imagination or has their been a dramatic surge of votes in the last 48hrs? ohmy.gif

Jogi
'There is no point pressing the shutter unless you are making some caustic comment on the incongruities of life. That is what photography is all about. It is the only reason for doing it.'......Philip Jones Griffiths

My gallery

#2 Oly_M

Oly_M

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:52 PM

O good! It's not just me that has noticed it!! I just finished writing about this underneath the current POTW voting area.

It is completely bizarre and the surge the photo is happening on, is almost double numbers of what was generally leading all week. All of a sudden this whole other photo now has 53 votes ???

I noticed the same thing just a couple of weeks ago (would have to look at archive to show which one I mean), but same thing happened, where in last two days of the voting this whole other photo got this tremendous peak in votes, completely reversing what was thought to be the clear winner all along.

QUOTE (Jogi @ Oct 27 2007, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi....Is it my imagination or has their been a dramatic surge of votes in the last 48hrs? ohmy.gif

Jogi

"The poetry of photography will always be more important than the mechanics of the camera..." - J-H. Lartigue

#3 JasminenHoney

JasminenHoney

• Advanced Members 300
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:39 AM

It's not only you 2 that have been noticing irregularities in this weeks POTW.
I too have been watching things happen that seem at odds with the leading photo.
So no, it's not in either of your minds... Somethings happening & what it is I have no idea.
I voted for Sydney & it was well in the lead... now what ever has happened has placed it behind by 20 some odd votes.
Could it be that non members are casting votes???
Anyways I hope Mark looks into this because it is very, very strange!
~Kelly

#4 smarti

smarti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:http://www.redbubble.com/people/smarti77

Posted 29 October 2007 - 09:36 AM

I think something needs to be done to ensure people are not using other sites to campaign for votes or casting multiple votes in any other way.
I have always viewed this competition in very high regard and I would hate to see it's integrity further questioned.

#5 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:11 AM

Guests cannot vote, and a registered member can only vote once.

Looking at the new member stats over the last few days, there were a high number of registrations on Friday 26th. But they weren't made by the same person.

So it seems that the finalists may have encouraged their friends to join PhotographyBLOG and register a vote for their photo.

I'm not so sure that this is necessarily a bad thing - it's bringing new members to the site and raising awareness of it. On the other hand, it can sway the vote and occasionally turn the Photo of the Week into something of a popularity contest.

What do you think?
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#6 smarti

smarti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:http://www.redbubble.com/people/smarti77

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE (markgoldstein @ Oct 29 2007, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you think?

Personally I think that as soon as anyone votes for an image because they have been asked to vote for it - it destroys the integrity of the competition.

People should be voting for the photo which they believe deserves to win because it is 'the best'.
I do not have any images in the current competitions but I do feel strongly about it.

Just my two cents worth... Im very interested in hearing others opinions.

#7 Bridget

Bridget

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,023 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy playing the piano,my job with the elderly,and of course photography.

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (smarti @ Oct 29 2007, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (markgoldstein @ Oct 29 2007, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you think?

Personally I think that as soon as anyone votes for an image because they have been asked to vote for it - it destroys the integrity of the competition.

People should be voting for the photo which they believe deserves to win because it is 'the best'.
I do not have any images in the current competitions but I do feel strongly about it.

Just my two cents worth... Im very interested in hearing others opinions.

Hello Mark,

I think that you should vote for the potw,or a panel like the potm.It's good to see how a photo is being voted on but like everyone else i think there are strange things afoot here.Or would it be good to have a percentage of votes by us then you and your panel have the final say,that way any upserge of votes will not have the last say.Or maybe have an editors potw where you yourself chooses what could be the best photo uploaded for that week.Thats my input for the day lol.Just a few suggestions to look at maybe
Bridget

#8 JasminenHoney

JasminenHoney

• Advanced Members 300
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:16 AM

Mark, I have to say that "Everything" that Bridget suggested might be what is needed to keep it on the straight line (so t speak).
As I mentioned before... an image that has been lets say"influenced" by family/friends with a surge of voting in my veiw is plain blank deceivement to the members who do not ask for favourtism.
Kinda strong words being written here at the moment, no harm intended but let's keep this fair/honest grounds in comps.
~Kelly

#9 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:29 PM

I've investigated the voting in this week's contest, and am satisfied that nothing untoward has taken place. Therefore Wet Mushrooms is this week's winning entry.

I'm extremely grateful for everyone's suggestions on how to improve the Photo of the Week contest, and will be looking into this.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#10 Oly_M

Oly_M

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:17 PM

I find it very disappointing. Puts new meaning to "well deserved" win
"The poetry of photography will always be more important than the mechanics of the camera..." - J-H. Lartigue

#11 richard crowe

richard crowe

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:20 AM

I would concur with what Bridget said.

Possibly it could remain the same where everyone votes for the top 10 photos as picked by Mark, then the top three photos as picked by us could be mulled over by a panel and an overall winner picked?

As I mentioned before one time - a possible fix for this sort of thing would be to conceal the scores to date (if that is possible). No-one would then know how thier photo was doing until the end - more suspense! Also, it would eradicate voting for a photo just because it is leading, not because you actually like it. ie if two photos were way ahead of the others, you would naturally tend to vote for one of those knowing that one of them was going to win.
Richard Crowe

Visit My Website

#12 chappo1

chappo1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,726 posts
  • Interests:Australian wildlife, photography, red wine. White wine if there is no red and.... (Is wife beating a hobby or a passtime? ).<br />language- As you may gather from some of my smart arse comments....

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:31 AM

Let's keep this week in perspective and state that the win was well deserved... it is, as has been said, not the first week that this has happened..the come from behind wins have been occurring in some weeks for a considerable time...it is just more noticeable this week..I use POTW to compare my judgement with the image which wins so usually vote on the first day and then watch to how I fare and have been seeing it happen many times. I thought it curious that there is a last minute rush of votes not statistically distributed.....john
We're off to see the Lizard~~the wonderful (sic) Lizard of Oz~~

#13 less2007

less2007

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:48 PM

If people feel that it is new members joining just to vote, why not only allow members that have been a member for more than one week to vote

#14 theduck1

theduck1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:15 PM

Hi all,

just to add my tupence worth,
I think that anyone who gets friends and family to vote for a photo they have taken is kidding nobody except themselves.

if i put a photo into any competion i want it to be judged on its merits, not on how many people i can con into voting for it.

#15 Trevor B

Trevor B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:57 AM

I think people are using proxy servers to get extra vote. It happened on the www.photocompetition.easycar.com competition where I had a firework photo - take a look.

One photo jumped 200 points in 20 minutes.

p.s. you may still be able to vote up to 12.00 GMT as it is still 31/12/07 in some parts of the world !

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users