I Need Some Basic Help

4 replies to this topic

#1 theruisg

theruisg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:16 PM

[size=7]Hi Im new to this site and looking for some help. Whilst many are happy with digital snaps Im taking my dads old slr camear kit on safari . Dad was very keen and all this stuff hes got ive got no idea what it does. He passed away years ago so I cant even ask him unsure.gif So could any one tell me the best lenses to take with me on safari next year?
the following are the choices.

2X 4-56/70-210
1X 1:1.8 f=50mm
1x 1:2.8 f=28mm
1x auto teleconverter 2x for b200/bc 1
1x 35-45/35-70
1x4-5.6/55-200
1x 2.8/135
In real lay terms what do these figures mean?

what rolls of film should I take ? ie speed and make ?
would any of these lenses be good for infared photography?

please feel free to email me at adiwhittaker@yahoo.co.uk

#2 desertpea

desertpea

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:15 AM

Digital 'snaps'!!!!!????? How dismissive! Trust me - a good DSLR with a good 200mm zoom lens will beat a manual SLR hands down for a trip like you're taking. You can take all the equipment you like for a manual DSLR, but you'll never, ever know what your photographs look like until you get home and by then it may be too late. The questions you've asked indicate that you're quite inexperienced. You don't mention the make or age of your Dad's camera, or details of the lenses so it will be hard for anyone to advise you. If you're really new to photography, and your trip is coming up soon, you may be better off buying a decent digital bridge camera. Search this site for reviews or http://www.steves-digicams.com or http://www.dpreview.com/

I'm sure most members on this site would be offended by your reference to digital 'snaps'. Maybe you should look more closely at some of the excellent photographs (digital)! on offer here and I refer you to Oly_M, phototoad, richard crowe, chappo_1, fluffy, donmac, Mark64, bridget, andreea10 - the list is endless.

Jan

#3 theruisg

theruisg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:09 PM

Jan and anyone who took this the wrong way

Didnt mean to offend sorry
what I should have said was

whilst many are happy with digital photos I want to use dads old slr for sentmental reasons.
Yes your right I am not experienced and with six months to go im sorting things out now.
He had
3 slrs 1 pentax p30t
1 praktica b20x
and a Voigtlander Vito B 1950's 35mm Camera
does that help?

#4 desertpea

desertpea

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:08 PM

Hi again

My attempt at irony may have been heavy-handed - sorry! You've got a very nice collection there which film camera buffs would sell a leg for I think. For me, it'd have to be the Pentax which is a very nice camera and would be better for you as a beginner, and if 210mm and teleconverter go with it (for wildlife shots)s to go with it, you're laughing. Don't know when you're going, but the more practice you can have, the better for you and the results, especially distance animal/bird shots and landscapes. You'll need a tripod with the 210mm unless you have hands as steady as rocks. Get onto some good photography sites (Luminous Landscapes is one) for hints and tutorials and practice, practice, practice. A friend of mine has been to Africa twice (S Africa and Kenya) and had amazing times, bringing back some fantastic photos, so enjoy!

Jan

PS Try posting in the General Questions, too - that forum seems to get more results. List your cameras and accessories - there are people here with more experience than me :smile:

#5 FiZZ

FiZZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (theruisg @ Nov 14 2007, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jan and anyone who took this the wrong way

Didnt mean to offend sorry
what I should have said was

whilst many are happy with digital photos I want to use dads old slr for sentmental reasons.
Yes your right I am not experienced and with six months to go im sorting things out now.
He had
3 slrs 1 pentax p30t
1 praktica b20x
and a Voigtlander Vito B 1950's 35mm Camera
does that help?

You have an awesome collection there.

As for terms and numbers.

The mm is the focal length. In general, the bigger the number, the less you see, but the more zoom you get, and vice versa with the smaller number. As for the "f" stop, the number with is 3.5-5.6, that is the aperture. What this means, is that the smaller the number, the more light is coming into the camera, and vice versa. This is important, as this dictates what kind of film you will have to use. In sunlight, you can use anything between 50 (for bright sunshine) to 400 (for clouds). These numbers are known as ISO settings, and it just sets a rating for how sensitive your film is.

If I was you, I would take three cameras with me.

One with the 28mm, one with the 50mm, and one with a zoom.

Why? You are using film, and you cannot change films mid roll (well you can, but its a hassle). The best choice, is to use a fast film (something with a high ISO number) with a fast lens, (like the 50mm f/1.8), as this can give you great results in low light and even at night if used properly. Use the 28mm for general shots in daylight, as this gives you a nice wide view of everything around you. The film here isn't an issue, since its a fast enough lens for general daylight. If you see any clouds in the sky, I say go for ISO 200 or even 400 film.

As for the zoom lens, I recommend ISO 400 in daylight. This is a zoom, and it needs more light than a wide, since a lot of the light is lost by the time it reaches the film plane.

Hope that is clear. I recommend you learn how to use your equipment. Sleep with it if you have to (yes, some of use film lovers still do that), and get to know every kink in their bodies. It will give you good results.

Feel free to ask anything else you need.

Best of luck and have fun!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users