I Just Found A Canon Ae-1

7 replies to this topic

#1 Maddie

Maddie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:46 AM

Heya biggrin.gif I'm new to the forums. I have a few good pictures, but not too many. I just discovered my love for photography.
Anywayy. My dad recently dug out his twenty two-ish year old camera. It's a Canon AE-1. Before I found it, I was using a digital Kodak camera. I'm excited that I finally have a camera that'll be good for photography.
So does anyone have any experience with a Canon AE-1?
Maddie :)

#2 chappo1

chappo1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,726 posts
  • Interests:Australian wildlife, photography, red wine. White wine if there is no red and.... (Is wife beating a hobby or a passtime? ).<br />language- As you may gather from some of my smart arse comments....

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:06 AM

Just to say I cannot help you but am happy for you as I have been a Minolta or (sometime) Nikon owner all my photographic life but have lots of fun with it.......john
QUOTE (Maddie @ Jan 5 2008, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heya biggrin.gif I'm new to the forums. I have a few good pictures, but not too many. I just discovered my love for photography.
Anywayy. My dad recently dug out his twenty two-ish year old camera. It's a Canon AE-1. Before I found it, I was using a digital Kodak camera. I'm excited that I finally have a camera that'll be good for photography.

We're off to see the Lizard~~the wonderful (sic) Lizard of Oz~~

#3 videodrome

videodrome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 01:17 PM

hey. i have some pretty extensive history with the AE-1, and for a first camera, i cannot fault them at all. bearing in mind you can pick a great condition one up on ebay for 25 pounds their not bad at all.

my only complaints are that the viewfinder is a little dark, and the shutters can stick abit slow after a while if its not been used for years.

ive been using the AE-1 relentlessly and have found it extremely fun to use, and with some great results. ive moved onto to a f100, which has needed to be repaired on various occasions, but the canon is still in brilliant working order. i think that says alot!

#4 jabber

jabber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:the great outdoors<br /><br />angling

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:19 PM

superb SLR camera.......used one for years....simple enough to use too....heres a link to the manual for it in case you dont have it

http://www.mir.com.m...1pgrm/index.htm

theres plenty of really good 2nd hand lenses around too, on many of the online bidding sites

#5 Seoplanner

Seoplanner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:09 AM

The AE-1 was so simple compared to the fantastic photo results I got. Easy for amateurs. Somehow produces EXCELLENT photos even in my photographically challenged hands.

#6 Guest_artfulpics_*

Guest_artfulpics_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 03:06 PM

That was my first camera back in 1982. Since I didn't have a reference for comparison, I had no problems with it. It did everything I wanted a camera to do. Been so long now I can't remember how it compares to my expectations today.

Hey, if you find you like film cameras, I just found out Canon actually makes one these days. It's called the Rebel G (no idea what number it would be), and it's wildly inexpensive for a camera. I don't know if it takes lenses from back then, but you could pick up a 50mm f/1.8 II for about a hundred bucks, and be set.

Oh, that just reminded me of something I felt was far superior about Canon's lenses of yesteryear. I seem to remember changing lenses, and the lens release button was on the lens itself, not on the camera. This made for far easier one-handed lens changing, which I miss.

Chris

#7 Eren S.

Eren S.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:15 AM

QUOTE (Maddie @ Jan 5 2008, 04:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am actually quite familiar with the controls, also considering I am a Canon A-series photographer. I work for Photographer's Monthly, and the A-1 is my main tool. Even though the models are not exactly the same, I can still stuff you full of tons of tips and tricks. E-mail me and we'll talk more.
Eren S.
Photographer in Cumberland, RI for Photographer's Monthly
eren.alexander.s@gmx.com

#8 metropetro

metropetro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:52 AM

I have been using the AE-1 relentlessly and have found it extremely fun to use, as well as with some really good results. I have moved onto to a f100, which has needed to be repaired on various occasions, but the canon is still in brilliant working order. I think that says a lot.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users