9 replies to this topic

#1 mad-donna

mad-donna

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

Hi again,
I'm after some lens advice again....I'm on the lookout for a wide angle for my 400d.
I would dearly like the Canon 10-22mm which is a bit more than I would like to spend. I have also been looking at the Tokina 12-24mm and the Sigma 12-24mm.
Any info on any of the lenses would be much appreciated or should I pay the bit extra and go for the Canon?

Thank you

Donna

#2 jaypkay

jaypkay

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:04 PM

Hi Donna,

I got hold of a Sigma 10-20mm after a lengthy investigation, the Canon 10-20mm was never going to be in my price range. If you have the cash then go for the Canon, if not the Sigma will not disapoint! Also, consider going for a Canon 17-85mm with IS, you can find a good deal if you shop around, but still out of my price range.

Good luck.
John.

#3 mad-donna

mad-donna

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (jaypkay @ Jan 6 2008, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Donna,

I got hold of a Sigma 10-20mm after a lengthy investigation, the Canon 10-20mm was never going to be in my price range. If you have the cash then go for the Canon, if not the Sigma will not disapoint! Also, consider going for a Canon 17-85mm with IS, you can find a good deal if you shop around, but still out of my price range.

Good luck.
John.

Hi
I have just took the plunge and ordered the Canon from URGalaxy on Ebay...they are doing the lens, the Canon hood and the Canon lens case for 330. It's so much much cheaper than the UK, the lens hood alone is around the 30 mark! They are apparently a Canon authorised seller and it also comes with the international warranty. The postage was pretty steep though 48 from Hong Kong. They guarantee no duty or full reimbursement which makes the deal even more attractive! biggrin.gif

Donna

#4 jaypkay

jaypkay

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:12 AM

Not a bad deal!

I looked at these chaps before, but I was too eager for my glass, i'm pathetic!

Lets us know if you do not pay the duty?

Cheers.
John.

#5 snakeman

snakeman

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife photography &amp; S N A K E S

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:51 PM

Hi Donna

Just read your message about buying from Hong Kong on e-bay. My friend occasionally works in Hong Kong and I have got him to price up the following Canon lenses for me.

70 - 200 2.8 IS L U 852.00

100 - 400 IS L U 708.00

400 2.8 IS L U 3,542.00

600 F.4 IS L U 4,023.00

If you check these prices against URGalaxy, they are roughly the same, so you are getting a good deal with your kit and URGalaxy are superb and genuine.

Happy snappin

Rob
--------SNAKEMAN---------

It's not a sin to love wildlife, we need it to survive GET INVOLVED

Click here if you dare

#6 simonkit

simonkit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:40 PM

Thought about buying from HK myself but how can the importer guarantee no import duty ?

Will they refund it if you do get charged ?

thanks

simon

#7 mad-donna

mad-donna

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:50 PM

Hi
What it said on the ebay listing was 'guaranteed no import duty'....if you did get charged I would imagine they would refund it. Luckily I did not get charged.
I'm very happy with the service from them and it only took three days to arrive from Hong Kong! Ordered on a Sunday,arrived Wednesday.

Donna

#8 Oly_M

Oly_M

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:59 PM

That is amazing!! great to know they are reputable and worthy...

I will have to pay more attention to what lens you are using now Donna wink.gif

QUOTE (mad-donna @ Jan 27 2008, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi
What it said on the ebay listing was 'guaranteed no import duty'....if you did get charged I would imagine they would refund it. Luckily I did not get charged.
I'm very happy with the service from them and it only took three days to arrive from Hong Kong! Ordered on a Sunday,arrived Wednesday.

Donna

"The poetry of photography will always be more important than the mechanics of the camera..." - J-H. Lartigue

#9 benjaminhutchinson

benjaminhutchinson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:20 PM

I've also not wanted to but expensive lenses form hong knong, I'm thinking of buying a sigma 70-300mm APO for my D40x fom there, or do you think it would be worth paying quite a bit more for the Nikkor 70-300mm VR.
Thanks wink.gif

http://hutchinsonpho...y.blogspot.com/

#10 HelenC

HelenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:37 PM

Hi Donna
Back to the lens issue... I purchased the Sigma a while ago for a trip to Scotland. I didn't go for the Canon as I don't intend to use a wide angle that often and it seemed pricey for something that would spend a lot of time in the bag. I had also read some very good reviews of the Sigma.

I have been pretty impressed with the results, there has been little vignetting, even with a polariser, and some remarkably straight horizons. In some shots it's been hard to discern the difference between the Sigma and my usual L series Canon....

If budget is a big issue, I would definitely recommend it.

Helen

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users