#1 Greg_Crawford

Greg_Crawford

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:53 PM

Hi all

Joined the site a few days ago and loving it ..... Im getting so much inspiration

I have:
Nikon D40
Nikkor AF-S DX VR 55-200 f/4.5-5.6G
Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55 f/3.5-5.6G II
SpeedLight SB600

Any suggestions for another lens for doing portrait type work.

TIA

Greg

#2 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

Hi Greg,

Do you want a fast, fixed focal length (prime) lens?
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#3 turbulentwheat

turbulentwheat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (markgoldstein @ Jan 16 2008, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Greg,

me, me! yes please. I have a d40x. I'm after a fastish fixed focal prime, but i've only seen really expensive ones. Any recommendations anyone?

#4 Greg_Crawford

Greg_Crawford

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (markgoldstein @ Jan 16 2008, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Greg,

Not sure what I want, Just looking for some ideas just now ??? blink.gif

#5 Travis Johnson

Travis Johnson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:49 AM

By far, my favorite portrait lens is a straight 85mm 1.8

This lens is razor sharp and fast. I get my best portrait shots with this lens.

I also own:
17-35
35-70
70-200 VR

Hope this helps,

Travis
www.tjphotography.com

#6 EnergyRecruitment

EnergyRecruitment

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:56 PM

the best digital technology.,..I`m planning on taking a photography course, and need a digital SLR to get me started. I want one that has at least 10m pixels, but apart from that I really have no idea what I`m looking for.. I`ve read so many reviews online about all the MANY different cameras out there, and I`m afraid it`s just confused me more!

#7 Keithyboy

Keithyboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (markgoldstein @ Jan 16 2008, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Greg,

Hi Mark,

I wonder if you can please advise me on a matter that's doing my brain in!

I have the Nikon D40, a great Speedlight and lenses include the 18-55 and the awesome 18-200. However, here's the question? I am considering changing my body for the D60, purely as I have been advised that updated software is used and the overall results are improved. Saying this, I can shoot 1,000 photos a month, or none the next and I hardy ever print anything out, choosing to view on an excellent screen, so is it really worth spending the money for a new body?

I have two big trips coming up, so if I'm going to change, I'll do it now, but in your opinion, as I am truly delighted with my D40, is it just a waste?

Thanks for any advice provided.

Cheers.

Keithyboy

#8 Antonio

Antonio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:49 AM

105mm lenses are the perfect portrait lens.
The popular reasonable lens from Nikon happened to be the 105mm lens, first as the f/4 for 1950s Nikon rangefinders, and then the 105mm f/2.5 for SLRs.

#9 Guest_artfulpics_*

Guest_artfulpics_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:21 PM

Let's get back to your original question. The next lens you should buy is either the 35mm 1.8 or the 50mm 1.8. Both are fast and relatively inexpensive, and are reputed to give excellent results. They won't autofocus on your D40, though, but it's easy to do so yourself.

Go to: fredmiranda.com for actual user reviews.

Chris

#10 Greg_Crawford

Greg_Crawford

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:44 AM

After a lot of discussion with a few people ... I eventually saved up and bought a Nikon AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G Dx VR Lens

This cost me a wee bit but I am pleased with the results... it appears to be ticking all my boxes at the moment ....

A couple of shots

Kyles of Bute Tighnabruich

Kyal climbing into bed

Various shots and Im pleased with the results

#11 Guest_artfulpics_*

Guest_artfulpics_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

I think you made a wise choice for yourself; I've been considering it myself. If these are indicative of the quality, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have heard that lens creep can develope after using it a while (when pointed straight up or down, the lens will slowly creep out of position).

Chris

#12 Greg_Crawford

Greg_Crawford

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (artfulpics @ Jun 27 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you made a wise choice for yourself; I've been considering it myself. If these are indicative of the quality, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have heard that lens creep can develope after using it a while (when pointed straight up or down, the lens will slowly creep out of position).

Chris

Thanks Chris, yes I am very pleased with the lens... oh and the results... read about lens creap also but I think the photos speak for themselves.... A good all round lens I think....

#13 bionictulip

bionictulip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:02 PM

On (full-frame) 35mm cameras, "portrait" lenses have traditionally been between about 75mm and about 105mm, as these produced the most flattering facial proportions.

With the D40 and other cameras using the APS-C (or in Nikon's terminology, "DX") sensor-size, a 50mm lens makes an excellent portrait lens because it produces proportions roughly equivalent to those produced by a 75mm lens used on a full-frame sensor.

The old Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 lens is easy to find for around US$120, and though it requires manual focus on a D40, will yield good portrait results with pleasantly out-of-focus backgrounds (bokeh) when used with a wide aperture.

Nikon and Sigma have recently released 50mm f/1.4 lenses that contain AF motors (and so will autofocus on the D40). Most reviews say both of these lenses are excellent, and although they run about US$450-$500 new, they're an f-stop faster than the old f/1.8, and apparently significantly optically superior to the old Nikkor 50mm f/1.4.

The 18-200mm lens is a handy all-purpose lens -- great for travel, especially. But it does tend to produce soft images (i.e., they sometimes seem to be a bit blurry), and its widest aperture is f/3.5, which does not allow the best bokeh. In portraits, you'll get better results with this lens if you keep it between 50mm and 70mm. Also, someone mentioned lens creep: my copy of this lens did indeed start to exhibit lens creep about 4 months after purchase; that's mostly just an annoyance, but on hikes it can expose the lens to damage if you're not careful.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google Mobile (1)