Condensation Problem! Help!

3 replies to this topic

#1 Crimsonblood

Crimsonblood

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 04:05 PM

Was recently on a trip and had some bitter cold weather along with a lot of rain, snow, and fog. It got cold enough that condensation formed on the electronics inside the body and it shorted out.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Is there any simple way to combat this other than using an airtight bag and letting it reach the outside temperature inside it?

Thanks,

Tim

#2 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:33 PM

Blimey! Exactly how cold was it, and did it happen to your camera?
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#3 turbulentwheat

turbulentwheat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (Crimsonblood @ Jan 13 2008, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was recently on a trip and had some bitter cold weather along with a lot of rain, snow, and fog. It got cold enough that condensation formed on the electronics inside the body and it shorted out.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Is there any simple way to combat this other than using an airtight bag and letting it reach the outside temperature inside it?

Thanks,

Tim

I dont know what camera you have or where you were but I use large silicon gel bags in my case. Or as someone else suggested to me a while ago, strap a couple of those on the camera itself. Also, not to let camera go from one extreme temperature to another too quickly. As I have a d40x it's all plastic, (incl.lens), it's the only advantage I can think of in cold weather, it's doesnt collect condensation as quickly or severly as metal.

#4 Crimsonblood

Crimsonblood

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

Mark,

It was around -6 and was foggy with a mix of rain and snow. Was in Prague and yes, it did happen to my camera. Canon was going to charge a minimum of $200 USD to fix it so I decided was time to upgrade to the 40D biggrin.gif

Turbulentwheat,

Thanks for the advice. I'll start carrying around some silicon gel bags with me when I go shooting. I was using the Rebel XT at the time, which is also mostly plastic but I had my Canon "L" lens on it which is all metal. Come to think of it, I did go from a warm place (hostel) to cold place (outside) without giving it much time to make the transition.

Tim

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users