Exif Info And Raw

2 replies to this topic

#1 dyonysius

dyonysius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:too much to learn.....not enough time to learn it...

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:21 AM

Quick question if I may.

How do you preserve exif info for your shot if you crop etc. in photoshop?....I am running photoshop CS version 8.

Also I have just bought a nikon d40 and was wondering if I could use photoshop CS to convert it's RAW files (NEF I think)? I havent installed any software from the supplied CD yet would this help and do I need to, generally?

Thanks in advance for any help and apologies if these have been addresses a lot previously.

Ross

#2 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:33 PM

Ross, to preserve the EXIF, do not use the Save As Web option. This strips the file of all excess info (including the EXIF data) to help keep the file size down. Instead select Save As and pick the JPEG format.

You *should* be able to open D40 RAW files with Photoshop CS2 - the Adobe Camera Raw part of Photoshop will appear when you open a NEF file from your D40. If this fails, try updating to the latest version (either visit Adobe's website to download the updates for Photoshop CS2, or run an update from within the application).
If this works, you shouldn't have to install anything else from the CD to convert the RAW files.

QUOTE (dyonysius @ Mar 7 2008, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quick question if I may.

How do you preserve exif info for your shot if you crop etc. in photoshop?....I am running photoshop CS version 8.

Also I have just bought a nikon d40 and was wondering if I could use photoshop CS to convert it's RAW files (NEF I think)? I havent installed any software from the supplied CD yet would this help and do I need to, generally?

Thanks in advance for any help and apologies if these have been addresses a lot previously.

Ross

Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#3 dyonysius

dyonysius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:too much to learn.....not enough time to learn it...

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

Thanks very much for your help Mark...all sorted!!

QUOTE (markgoldstein @ Mar 8 2008, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ross, to preserve the EXIF, do not use the Save As Web option. This strips the file of all excess info (including the EXIF data) to help keep the file size down. Instead select Save As and pick the JPEG format.

You *should* be able to open D40 RAW files with Photoshop CS2 - the Adobe Camera Raw part of Photoshop will appear when you open a NEF file from your D40. If this fails, try updating to the latest version (either visit Adobe's website to download the updates for Photoshop CS2, or run an update from within the application).
If this works, you shouldn't have to install anything else from the CD to convert the RAW files.

QUOTE (dyonysius @ Mar 7 2008, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quick question if I may.

Ross

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users