Nikon D70 - Winner Or Loser?

8 replies to this topic

#1 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 05 December 2003 - 12:26 PM

So what do you make of the Nikon D70, due to ship in Spring 2004? Will it sell by the bucket load, or have Nikon left it too late, allowing Canon to corner the market?
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#2 TJL79

TJL79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 12:30 AM

Hey!

I´m too tired to get deep into your question right now (02.30am), but I write down something.

I think Nikon may have introduced D-70 a bit too late. Canon have already sold —god knows how— many D300 -cameras. I myself don´t like the color and plastic look of D300 and D-70 seem much more pro from that point...sure the power is inside. smile.gif

ps. there is a "promo page" open for D-70...not much information yet, but I thought that I let you know anyway (or maby you already knew that)

http://www.nikon-d70.nl/int-en/

—Timo

#3 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for the link to the promo page - no, I wasn't aware of it until you pointed it out smile.gif
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#4 rcco

rcco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 08:23 PM

i guess a professional could go for a d70 as a backup camera if his budget can't allow a d100 or a d2h tongue.gif

i guess canon has a lot more of the market... i think people in general would like more the plastic look but the serious amateur would like much (much wink.gif) more the look of the d100/10d - but i guess its a complex question... another thing (among many others i guess) would a serious amateur or a professional work with the programs for landscape, night, etc?

about the promo page: would a person that buys a d70 spend the extra money for a 12-24 lens? or a 17-55? now a thought! instead or buying a d100 buy the d70 and save the extra money for the 12-24 lens - its another option i guess smile.gif

too much rumbling? unsure.gif

#5 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 09:45 AM

The Canon EOS 10D has the various scene modes and I've NEVER used them. Same with the Canon EOS 300 film SLR. I usually use Aperture priority, and Manual for night shots.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#6 daves

daves

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:40 PM

As a Nikon user, I'm pleased they're coming up with a sub-grand dslr, but I have to say their marketing seems very laid back. They will have lost a large chunk of the first slr buyer market who want digital, which means they will lose the lens sales, the upgrades, etc.

Nikon probably may argue that, functionality-wise, the D70 wiil be superior to the D300, and they may or may not be right, but that isn't the point. It's an old-but-true marketing adage that it's better to be first rather than best.

Bert Hinkler was the second man to fly solo across the Atlantic; he did on less fuel, in less time than Lindbergh and landed where he said he would. But I bet it's likely you never heard of him until now.

Dave

#7 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 12:47 PM

Bert Who?? rolleyes.gif

Good point about getting there first - by the time the D70 is released, the Canon EOS 300D will already have been on the market for 6 months.

The thing that I don't understand is why Nikon didn't tell us more details about the D70 when they pre-announced it? Then people would have held off buying another DSLR until the D70's release. I'm betting that some of them will have looked elsewhere because they don't know what the D70 will actually deliver.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#8 drenaud

drenaud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 02:52 AM

The D70 appears to be the same camera as the D100, actually improved in some ways (e.g. usb 2). I wonder why its not the D110. It has a plastic body and is somewhat lighter. Not sure if this is a plus or a minus.

As to whether or not Nikon has waited too long to release this camera, I am not sure. But I do know this. Nikon makes it's customers (e.g. me) feel like dummies. I bought the D100 for $2kUS in August, 2002, it now sells for $1.5kUS, and soon an equivalent product (D70) will sell for sub $1kUS. Ok.. that is the risk of being an "early adopter". Nikon also charges you $80US more to use the Nikon Capture software that allows you to control the camera from a computer. Seems excessive in a competitive market. And by the way... if you need to transfer Nikon Capture to a new computer, good luck (unless you have another $80US).

All that said, I love the D100 (but have my doubts about the company behind it).

#9 RickfromBama

RickfromBama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 07:46 PM

My concern is about lens compatibility with non-manufacter,third party lenses. I have a N-55 and use Tamron lenses. I'm wondering how well those lenses will work on a D-70. If I can not use my lenses, then I have no reason to look at a D-70. I don't have to have this much camera but I might take a look if I can use my lenses on it. I bet there are other Nikon users out there who use third party lenses who are wondering the same thing. One thing is for sure,Nikon will loose out if the can not compete price wise with the Rebel.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users