Alien Skin Blowup Or Genuine Fractals?

3 replies to this topic

#1 spi4u2

spi4u2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:16 AM

Just wondering what people are using to increase the size of their photos. How big would you recommend to enlarge a photo if you want to submit it for large prints. (% wise). Which software would you recommend, Alien Skin Blowup or Genuine Fractals, or is there a better one. I have Photoshop CS3, is it comparable to the other two software programs for interpolation?

Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Andy

#2 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:08 PM

How big are your original source images?

Photoshop CS3 is much better at doing enlargements than previous versions, so depending on your specific needs, it may be good enough.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#3 spi4u2

spi4u2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (markgoldstein @ Apr 22 2008, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Photoshop CS3 is much better at doing enlargements than previous versions, so depending on your specific needs, it may be good enough.

I have some jpeg files that are about 1500 by 1000 pixels that I would like to upsize to about 6000 by 4000. I also have files that are raw that are approximately 6000 by 4000 that I would like to upsize so that they can be used for posters, large pictures, or even billboards if at all possible. Most of what I have I want to upsize as much as possible so that I have more choices available for the stock photography market.

Thank you for your time in ansering my questions.

Andre

#4 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:03 AM

Andre, a 300% upsize of those JPEGs is pretty drastic. You might be able to get away with it...

The RAW files are less of a problem. I save them as TIFFs, then re-size those if necessary, carefully following the guidelines of the stock image library etc.

QUOTE (spi4u2 @ Apr 22 2008, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (markgoldstein @ Apr 22 2008, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have some jpeg files that are about 1500 by 1000 pixels that I would like to upsize to about 6000 by 4000. I also have files that are raw that are approximately 6000 by 4000 that I would like to upsize so that they can be used for posters, large pictures, or even billboards if at all possible. Most of what I have I want to upsize as much as possible so that I have more choices available for the stock photography market.

Thank you for your time in ansering my questions.

Andre

Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users