12 replies to this topic

#1 johna

johna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:18 PM

Hi

Having just invested in my first DSLR (PenatxK200D) I am wondering what software to purchase. I have the option of shooting raw files so would wnat something to deal with these. If I purchased Elements 6 would that be all I needed to deal with Raw + JPEG. I do not want to spend loads of money if I dont need to. I have been bombarded with ideas from other photographers about should get, Silkypix, Lightroom, not bother with any just use free downloads etc.. What advise can anyonye offer me please, ideally I would like one package that will be capable of working with JPEG and Raw.

Regards

Johna

#2 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 06:18 PM

Johna, if you can afford it and you don't mind spending some time learning the ropes, than I'd advise buying Adobe Lightroom, or Apple Aperture on a Mac. These programs are aimed at the keen photographer and are quickly becoming the de facto standard, so time spent getting to grips with one of them will be a wise investment.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#3 johna

johna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (markgoldstein @ Apr 29 2008, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Johna, if you can afford it and you don't mind spending some time learning the ropes, than I'd advise buying Adobe Lightroom, or Apple Aperture on a Mac. These programs are aimed at the keen photographer and are quickly becoming the de facto standard, so time spent getting to grips with one of them will be a wise investment.

Thanks Mark. Do you think this is a better option than PS elemnets?

#4 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:15 AM

If you are going to mainly shoot in RAW mode, then yes.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#5 donmac

donmac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:45 PM

You can download a free 1 month trial Beta version of Adobe Lightroom 2.0 from the following site.

https://www.adobe.co.....bs_lightroom2

Try before you buy. smile.gif
Rgds
Don

#6 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

I forgot about that, well pointed out Don!

There's also a trial version of Photo Elements:
http://www.adobe.com.../?promoid=BPCXA

and Apple Aperture:
http://www.apple.com/aperture/trial/

Now all you need to do is find some time to test them all out! laugh.gif
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#7 Nigel C Young

Nigel C Young

• Advanced Members 300
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,574 posts
  • Interests:Many and varied.

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:26 PM

Hi, Johna,

Email me at nigelcyoung@aol.com for some advice before you go putting your hand in your pocket.
Nigel.

#8 Digital SnapHappy

Digital SnapHappy

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:02 PM

Hi - I use PS7 - and the Adobe site suggests that anything less than CS2 cannot use the RAW plug-in? Is there any workaround to make PS7 use RAW?

jacktorcello.zenfolio.com

jack-torcello.artistwebsites.com

Tether your camera with the

free android app dslrdashboard

#9 Nigel C Young

Nigel C Young

• Advanced Members 300
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,574 posts
  • Interests:Many and varied.

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:25 PM

Hi,

Go here to download Rawshooter Essentials:

http://www.download....cdlPid=10518796

Once converted, edit away in PS7.
Nigel.

#10 chappo1

chappo1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,726 posts
  • Interests:Australian wildlife, photography, red wine. White wine if there is no red and.... (Is wife beating a hobby or a passtime? ).<br />language- As you may gather from some of my smart arse comments....

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:02 AM

Do Pentax not supply a raw converter as part of the package..... After a morning's shoot a few weeks back I discovered that I had not put the camera settings back to daylight from fluoro so I had to do a crash course in raw conversion...The Sony software supplied with my A700 does a fantastic job in my opinion...Probably not much use to you but surely Pentax will offer one....john
We're off to see the Lizard~~the wonderful (sic) Lizard of Oz~~

#11 Stuart M0SJV

Stuart M0SJV

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:I am a keen photographer who goes almost nowhere without some sort of a camera, and not one on a mobile phone either. I also am a Licensed Radio Ham, I became interested in Radios at a very early age and followed it through to becoming licensed in January of 1992. The two hobbies often run hand in hand as I have many photographs on the Radio Club's website taken at various events we attend. The Photographs that are on this site of Bratch were taken at one such event, it often allows access when the public have gone and the sun is at the mellow end of the day.

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

Hi,
I use photoshop elements6 and shoot all of my shots in raw mode, from a pentax 1stds and to be perfectly honest I find I donot need the extra complication of light room, I did try bothe before I purchased elements so as a user of elements I think it would probably suit your needs adequatly.,

Stuart m0sjv
Stuart of stuartsphotography.org

#12 Mr. Robb

Mr. Robb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:54 PM

I just started using ACDSee Pro 2 and it's fantastic! See site and check it out (free trial) http://www.acdsee.com/
It was on sale when I got it, but it's worth the list price too. What I like is the speed of the workflow starting with a great image viewer/organizer. This application can be used alone or as a supplement to image editing tools like Photoshop Elements. It's a workflow manager (capture/organize/view/edit/print/archive) that includes most of the editing functions that you will ever need, perfect for a newbie. Plus it works with just about any file format you might have. And the powerful database feature for organizing files and viewing EXIF data is the best I have seen. It's important to get started on the right foot with organizing your photos with a new SLR because it is so easy to pile them up hundreds at a time. If you add Elements of another editor later, ACDSee can still be your front end that will jump to another editing program with just a click on the menu, so you keep your files organized in one application regardless of which additional tools you use. Have fun !! rolleyes.gif

#13 Allan Cass

Allan Cass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:18 PM

check this our
Visual Similarity Duplicate Image Finder

QUOTE (Mr. Robb @ Jul 26 2008, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just started using ACDSee Pro 2 and it's fantastic! See site and check it out (free trial) http://www.acdsee.com/
It was on sale when I got it, but it's worth the list price too. What I like is the speed of the workflow starting with a great image viewer/organizer. This application can be used alone or as a supplement to image editing tools like Photoshop Elements. It's a workflow manager (capture/organize/view/edit/print/archive) that includes most of the editing functions that you will ever need, perfect for a newbie. Plus it works with just about any file format you might have. And the powerful database feature for organizing files and viewing EXIF data is the best I have seen. It's important to get started on the right foot with organizing your photos with a new SLR because it is so easy to pile them up hundreds at a time. If you add Elements of another editor later, ACDSee can still be your front end that will jump to another editing program with just a click on the menu, so you keep your files organized in one application regardless of which additional tools you use. Have fun !! rolleyes.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users