Camera Reviews

No replies to this topic

#1 Philip Goh

Philip Goh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:02 PM

I've been browsing the web for reviews of cameras in my price range and I've come across this site which I must say is truly excellent. I really like the detail provided, especially the wide range of sample photos. However, I think it might be a good idea to standardize on the settings used when taking the sample photos.

For example, compare the images take in the Nikon D60 and the Sony A200 review. These two reviews are done by the same reviewer and some of the shots are of the same subject. When I compared the photos taken by the two cameras, I was dismayed at the quality of the A200's photos. The A200's pictures appear more noisy than the D60's. This was disappointing for me as I was leaning more towards purchasing an A200 as the deals on offer are better than the deals for the D60. But if the difference in photo quality is so great, there was no way I was going to buy an A200.

Then I checked the settings used. The A200 uses ISO800 while the D60 uses ISO400. That would explain the discrepancies! And I noticed in the review that the reviewer notes that noise starts to appear in the A200 at ISO 800 and above, and that would explain why the A200 produces much noisier photos compared to the D60.

While this is a minor detail, it is a very important one as it dramatically affects the buying decision. How can a potential buyer make a proper comparison between cameras when they use drastically different settings? I'm currently deciding between a Sony A200, Nikon D60 and a Canon EOS400D. The details in the reviews are great! Sadly, the sample images are not really that useful as the A200 uses ISO 800, the D60 uses ISO 400 and the EOS400 uses ISO 1600 (!!). It's small wonder then that the D60 trumps all others in image quality.

Please standardize the settings used when reviewing cameras. I understand that different photographers have different tastes, but for the purpose of a review I think it's best to have a set of settings which are used for all cameras. That makes it possible to do an apples to apples comparison of the different cameras.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users