Problems With Windows Vista

5 replies to this topic

#1 paul109sx

paul109sx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 04:46 PM

Hi apologies if this has been asked before but hoping someone out there can help.

I have a Canon 400D and until recently was using it with my home computer that was running Windows XP. I have just bought a Laptop that is using Windows Vista and the computer will not recognise my camera. The software supplied with the camera loaded with no problems. I can upload the photos using Windows but not using the Canon EOS utility.

Knowing my luck the fix will be something simple but don't know where to start looking

Thanks all in advance

Paul

#2 Guest_artfulpics_*

Guest_artfulpics_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:22 PM

I know nothing about computers other than Vista sucks rather a lot. There is a home version and a mobile version. Perhaps the problem lies in that.

I think there's a Vista web-site where you can download patches & such.

Chris

#3 ripper

ripper

• Advanced Members 300
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 20,563 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE (paul109sx @ Jul 1 2008, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi apologies if this has been asked before but hoping someone out there can help.

I have a Canon 400D and until recently was using it with my home computer that was running Windows XP. I have just bought a Laptop that is using Windows Vista and the computer will not recognise my camera. The software supplied with the camera loaded with no problems. I can upload the photos using Windows but not using the Canon EOS utility.

Knowing my luck the fix will be something simple but don't know where to start looking

Thanks all in advance

Paul

you can also try a memory card reader ,plugging it into your computer, this will bypass your camera and save you from using up camera batt. I have one on my computer and works good for me.

hope this will help. ripper (usntm1ret)

#4 HelenC

HelenC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:30 AM

Have a look at the Canon website for Support/Software downloads. In the UK it's http://software.canon-europe.com/
There will probably be an XP upgrade for your software/camera that is required, especially if you have had your camera for a while, i.e. pre-XP days.

Hope this will help.
Helen

#5 Catapa

Catapa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (artfulpics @ Jul 1 2008, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... Vista sucks rather a lot...

Despite of the strong language I somehow can not disagree with your statement... mad.gif

#6 Digital SnapHappy

Digital SnapHappy

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 04:27 PM

I think what you'll find is that one of Vista's Cretificate Checking Services is blocking recognition of your camera - even XP performed this blocking as an attempt by Microsoft to provide a more stable (accredited certificates) environment for your computer. It is a hassle yes, but with the 'noble' forethought of stability-first, it is not an insurmountable problem. Give me a while, and I shall extract the right info for you.
WIA service is the main complainant - it disagrees with some TWAIN drivers found in cameras/scanners. I shall look at my Vista Ultimate services setup and see what I can/cannot tweak in there to improve things...
Get to Vista's SERVICES page, scroll down to Windows Image Acquisition - and see if STOPPED, MANUAL, or AUTOMATIC settings are best for you. Default is AUTOMATIC...so I'd guess that setting is blocking you.

jacktorcello.zenfolio.com

jack-torcello.artistwebsites.com

Tether your camera with the

free android app dslrdashboard

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users