Photo

First Slr!

3 replies to this topic

#1 sameashby

sameashby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:My wonderful Family (husband, 2 kids, bump), photography, walking and reading.<br /><br />I've just got my first SLR!! I have a second hand sony A100 with a 18-70mm macro lens, and I'm happily experimenting with what I can do. I'm really impressed by the fact i can get good pictures of teh children without sticking the camera up their noses! we also have a Canon Ixus 70, which is a wonderful compact camera (I love it, it's brilliant) which is perfect for keeping in a pocket for capturing a great moment. I'm hoping to turn semi pro at some point, so all ideas and constructive criticism is very very welcome!

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:26 PM

I'm sooo excited - I've just bought My first SLR a Sony A100! It's coming with a 18-70mm zoom lens, but I'm afraid I'm totally ignorant when it comes to SLR lenses! is this a good general purpose lens? unsure.gif
Also, as I'm into macro work, which is a good compatible macro lens to go with it? It doesnt' need Image stabilisation, as the IS is in the body, which should make a decent lens cheaper, but there are so many available I'm all at sea!

a very excited and ditzy
Sam

#2 sameashby

sameashby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:My wonderful Family (husband, 2 kids, bump), photography, walking and reading.<br /><br />I've just got my first SLR!! I have a second hand sony A100 with a 18-70mm macro lens, and I'm happily experimenting with what I can do. I'm really impressed by the fact i can get good pictures of teh children without sticking the camera up their noses! we also have a Canon Ixus 70, which is a wonderful compact camera (I love it, it's brilliant) which is perfect for keeping in a pocket for capturing a great moment. I'm hoping to turn semi pro at some point, so all ideas and constructive criticism is very very welcome!

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:37 AM

QUOTE (sameashby @ Jul 30 2008, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sooo excited - I've just bought My first SLR a Sony A100! It's coming with a 18-70mm zoom lens, but I'm afraid I'm totally ignorant when it comes to SLR lenses! is this a good general purpose lens? unsure.gif
Also, as I'm into macro work, which is a good compatible macro lens to go with it? It doesnt' need Image stabilisation, as the IS is in the body, which should make a decent lens cheaper, but there are so many available I'm all at sea!

a very excited and ditzy
Sam

For example, tehre are 2 Macro lenses available from Sony (I can't afford either new, but it is a useful illustration) - they have the same apperture settings available, but one is a 50mm, and the other is a 100mm. I can see that one is bigger than the other, but what is the difference when I'm using one or the other. Does the 100mm give me more flexibility? Will the 100mm allow me to get in closer to the subject than the 50mm? to those in the know this will no doubt seem ridiculously obvious, and doubtless in acouple of months I won't believe I asked, but right now, I haven't got a clue! blink.gif

#3 BeeLee Antonio

BeeLee Antonio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:32 PM

Hi Since this is your first SLR, you have to consider things before buying lenses otherwise, you are losing money for nothing. I use the 6 steps that I'm about to introduce you to every time I go out looking for a new lens. Each step is designed to reduce the number of lenses you have to compare by half, which is why it's good to follow the steps in order. By the time you get to the last step, you should only have to compare 2 or 3 lenses rather than 30.

So here we go - 6 steps to help you find the best digital SLR lens:

1. Determine the focal length you'll need
2. Decide if you want a prime or zoom lens
3. Select a maximum aperture
4. Choose between first or third party lenses
5. Evaluate any extra features
6. Read reviews and narrow your options

Regards,
Billy Antonio

CAMERA GADGET:

**NIKON D60 SLR**
LENS:
55MM
70-300MM

#4 Guest_artfulpics_*

Guest_artfulpics_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:51 PM

Hey, Sam, I think I know you from Flickr, don't I? I'm artfulpurpose there. Anyway, congrats on stepping up. You'll love the system, as everything I've read about Sony says it's here to stay.

True macro lenses all take you to 1:1 magnification, which is true macro (sorry to sound redundant). Both the 50 and 100 will do it, but the front of the lens on the 50 will probably have to be closer to the subject to get the job done. If it's a brazilian eye-stinging wasp with a pissed-off attitude, you may wish to be a little farther away, which you can get with the 100.

I recommend looking for lenses on fredmiranda.com. They don't have every possible lens reviewed, but can give you ideas what other people look for in a lens, which may shore up your education.

Good luck!

Chris

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users