5 replies to this topic

#1 Digital-Alchemy

Digital-Alchemy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 03:59 PM

Hi Everyone and happy holidays.
I plan to be launching a print for sale gallery very soon. I've quite excited. I just got a 2' X 3' print of this piece. It's framed and it looks fantastic.
I've researching many sites for print sales. I'd like to know what other sites out there have worked well for selling prints. I think most of us know about DAprints. I've not had a tremendous ammount of luck here. I know the bandwidth is really bad at times too.

I've been looking into Shutter Point. It looks pertty good so far. I'm going to contact some of the folks on there to get some opinions.

Mark have you thought about adding the ability to sell one's work on Photographyblog.com? Perhaps this was discussed before and I've not seen that post... just thought I'd ask.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Have a great holiday season!

JoeAngel
Digital Alchemy Photography

#2 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 04:09 PM

Do you mean adding the option of selling your photos to the PhotographyBLOG Gallery? So that people who have registered and posted there can sell their own photos? I can't say that I've really looked into it, and no-one has requested it yet, but I am aware that some gallery sites offer similar functionality.

Personally speaking, I take and process orders for my own work. I wouldn't like to use a thrid-party print service and not check the photos before they were sent to the client! What if they were rubbish and the client was the first person to see them? I've going down the route of buying an archival photo printer and producing the prints myself...
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#3 Digital-Alchemy

Digital-Alchemy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 08:30 PM

Mark,
That's an excellent point. I see what you mean. The only reason I'm thinking of using an external site to sell prints is the traffic. More traffic would mean a higher chance of someone seeing your work. I guess that was the driving force behind my research. I completely agree with the personal touch in the print process. As always, you've provided great advice and given me much to think about. smile.gif

Happy holidays!
JoeAngel

#4 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 22 December 2003 - 08:37 PM

You could always let the third party company handle the smaller print sizes, and then do the bigger ones yourself.

I also offer my prints matted so that they are ready to pop into a frame - I doubt if the company that you choose would offer this service. And I also sign the back of each print too smile.gif
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#5 pnicholls

pnicholls

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 01:22 AM

I was a member of Shutterpoint for the six months just ended. I didn't sell a thing there, but got high marks on critiques. What I have found with Shutterpoint is that the images they are selling are really stock type images of just about anything. Artsy type photos are not selling.

Regards,

Pete
VividPrints.com

#6 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 23 December 2003 - 09:48 AM

My theory is that people are more likely to buy arts-type prints from the photographer's own website - that way they get a sense of who the photographer is and what their overall portfolio of images is like. Pity it's so difficult to attract traffic to it!
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users