Photo Sorting

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Wayne_*

Guest_Wayne_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:38 PM

Say you take pictures at location "A", then go to location "B", take more, then you return to "A" and take a few more shots. Now you have the following: 1A 2A 3A 4B 5B 6B 7A 8A 9A, the order you took the pictures and the location they were shot. You download them to your PC and a file folder is created with the pictures, with assigned file names in the order they were shot.

Now, I want to create a new file folder, and drag and drop the pictures I want, in the order I want, so I can burn them to a CD, ( 1A 2A 7A 3A 8A 9A 6B 5B 4B ) much the same way you would sort pictures in a photo album.

The problem is, the computer will always arrange the photos by some criteria. Other than changing each pictures file name to get them into the order I want, is there any program out there that will simply allow you to just drag and drop each photo into a new folder that will disregard the file names?

Thanks for any reply.

#2 Herve

Herve

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 08:36 AM

I am using cam2pc by Nabocorp as image downloader.

It does a great job to create meaningfull filenames and directories at download time from you camera (using EXIF info).

You can place images in albums and perform operation on this albums (copy, slideshow, email,...) without moving your files. Images can be in as many album as you like. When you delete an album, you do not delete the files. From cam2pc, you can easily call your favorite image editors to start working on any image you want to modify.

There is a freeware and shareware version so you can try before you buy. wink.gif

more info at http://www.nabocorp.com/cam2pc/

You can have a look at another freeware: picasa

more info at http://www.photograp...views_picasa_2/

Hope it helps,

Hervé

#3 Guest_Newton Ring_*

Guest_Newton Ring_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:42 PM

I used to use Picasa, but hated the way it forced you to organize your photos by date. Maybe I was missing something, but I found it clunky and non-intuitive when it came to dragging and dropping pics into different folders. Recently I've started using FastStone Image Viewer and couldn't be happier. It's head and shoulders above everything else I've tried.

#4 jcouzins

jcouzins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 03:48 PM

Hi Wayne

Assume you are using Windows XP, just open My computer and select "Details View" then add another Field such as Title or Comments,
then select all the pics that are the same category by holding down the Control key as you click each one, then right click and select properties, then Summary, switch to advanced view and highlight the Title field (or Comments if its likely to be a few words) and start typing.

I find it's very helpful to include as much info as possible in these editable fields for searching purposes later on.

Then, back in Details view click on the grey panel at the top of the Title column and they'll all be sorted on "Title" rather than date, name etc.

Voila as they say

Hope this helps

John

#5 JBeam

JBeam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:27 AM

Look into Downloader Pro and also take a look at Photools iMatch software.

#6 colinr

colinr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:31 PM

Wayne, have you looked at ThumbsPlus? This gives you at least 15 options for sorting your display order, and you can add your own fields to sort by if you wish.

Don't get the idea that a computer always stores files (pictures) in any specific order that you can retrieve. The disc filing order is decided by and known only to the operating system. It is up to the user (in effect the application) to specify what order they are displayed to you. Good applications give you the flexibility to do this how you want.

#7 okapi

okapi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (Newton Ring @ Feb 18 2005, 04:42 PM)
I used to use Picasa, but hated the way it forced you to organize your photos by date. Maybe I was missing something, but I found it clunky and non-intuitive when it came to dragging and dropping pics into different folders. Recently I've started using FastStone Image Viewer and couldn't be happier. It's head and shoulders above everything else I've tried.

faststone image viewer is getting better and better with each version! try the latest beta - it's absolutely great!
in some way even better than acdsee 8! the editing functions in fullscreen mode are unique!

according to the author, a custom sort order function for thumbnails will be implemented soon.
as far i know, this feature is currently only provided by acdsee.
a visual notebook - michael singer photography

#8 kurtteej

kurtteej

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:48 PM

I never liked the way most software programs handled image sorting and the like. I ended up writing my own database app where I just use pointers to the actual image files. It's a lot more work up front when I first put the images on my machine but it saves me time in the long run when I want to find something. I'm sure most of us take thousands of shots a year, the ability to associate with keywords and location tags is a huge time saver.

KT

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users