2 replies to this topic

#1 cookie monster

cookie monster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:08 AM

Hi,

I would like to try and see if I can get some of my photos onto a stock photography site. I am at the moment an amateur, but i do dream of making money from the photography that I love. I dont expect to make a living from it, but a bit of extra money wouldnt go amiss!! I mainly take wildlife and travel / landscape shots. If i managed to get some photos accepted it may give me that extra bit of confidence, but I have no unrealistic illusions! If anybody can recommend a stock site then that would be great. Or of course any other way of making money from my shots!

#2 CraigC

CraigC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (cookie monster @ Oct 2 2009, 07:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

I would like to try and see if I can get some of my photos onto a stock photography site. I am at the moment an amateur, but i do dream of making money from the photography that I love. I dont expect to make a living from it, but a bit of extra money wouldnt go amiss!! I mainly take wildlife and travel / landscape shots. If i managed to get some photos accepted it may give me that extra bit of confidence, but I have no unrealistic illusions! If anybody can recommend a stock site then that would be great. Or of course any other way of making money from my shots!

I think you need to first of all decide on your course of action for the type of photography.

Look on some sites to see what the Professional Photography take, thats a good site I have linked you to, to give you some idea but other than that use [url="http://www.RedBubble.com"].

Just be mindful of lots of people all doing the same thing, trying to sell there stuff.

CraigC

#3 Marmeduke

Marmeduke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

Stock photo websites can be a great way to make a little bit of income through your photography. Don't be disheartened when images aren't accepted though. They have requirements that are more specific than simply: Is this an interesting/good shot? Technical quality is important. I've had most success with images shot on a high f. stop because everything in the image remains sharp and in focus at full size.

Fashions change and different subjects become popular. Think about what's happening in the news, in sport - take topical photos. Take photos of people, they sell well - you can print out model release forms from stock photo sites. This gives some ideas for selling on stock sites plus lists the best ones: Using Stock Photo Websites.

I also think setting up a website of your own is a fun way to make some sales. You are answerable only to your own sense of what makes an interesting image and are free to do the marketing for it yourself. You don't have to know anything about web design either. There is some good advice here: How To Sell Photos Online

Don't write off selling pics of your local area through local stores - it can be a surprisigly good money-spinner!

Best of luck! cool.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users