#1 donmac

donmac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

I recently discovered the following site

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

The site promotes some open source software which has been written and enhanced by numerous programmers.
Its like a firmware update for all versions of the Powershot which will unleash its max potential. Having read through it sounds pretty good. The software runs from the SD card so the camera firmware is untouched meaning you can return to original state if needed (just power down and remove the SD card and you are back to original). I havent tried it yet but have downloaded the version for my S3IS and intend to try when I get home from offshore (only a few more weeks, sigh).

Reviews Ive read on other forums seem to be all positive. Some great features like motion detection. For instance you can set the camera to trigger on movement. Great for taking lightning shots apparently. Also you can record raw files (which the S3IS doesnt do). Extra long and extra fast exposures. Many other features.

By the way its worth reading through before diving in. There are a few criteria to be met and the software needs set up properly on the SD card.
If anybody else has tried this out I would be interested to hear.

Regards
Don

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users