2 replies to this topic

#1 Herve

Herve

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 02:44 PM

Hi Mark,

as you will see this topic is mostly for you (as the only admin member) tongue.gif

I've seen at lot of pictures destroyed by the automatic resizing at 600 pixels at upload time. sad.gif
Could you setup some sort of warning when somebody post something bigger than 600 pixels so that he knows what will happen ?

I know that there is no possibility for non advanced member to upload images bigger than 200 Kbytes. You got the message to try again with a smaller image. So there is already some checks there wink.gif .

Another question comes to me seeing the panorama shots at http://www.ceif-foto.com/expo/ (I love them...)

All photos there are 240 pixels high and from 553 pixels to 960 pixels width.
Can you change the rules about the pixels size so that we are allowed to upload a SURFACE of 600 by 600 = 3600 pixels^2. At an admin point of view, the image size is the same. It is always possible for you to place an abolute maximum of, let's say, 900 pixels in width and 600 pixels in height.

What do you (and others) thing ?

#2 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 08:28 AM

Hi Herve,

Thanks very much for your suggestions :-)

There are 3 things that I can change in the Gallery software that I use which directly affect image quality:

Max allowable image width in pixels (currently set to 600)

Max allowable image height in pixels (currently set to 600)

Upload File Size Limit (in KB) (this is now set to no limit for ALL members)

Now, I could set the width and height to greater than 600 pixels, but this would almost certainly break the layout of the Gallery for most users e.g. they would probably have to scroll from left to right to see all the picture at 1024x768 screen resolution.

There is no longer a file size limit, so you can safely set the image quality to be as high as possible before uploading it.

I'll see what I can do about adding some text to the Upload Files page, warning you to resize the image to 600 pixels BEFORE uploading it in a photo app to obtain the best quality.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#3 Herve

Herve

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 10:14 AM

Mark,

thanks in advance for the warning message, it will improve the quality (whoops already done ohmy.gif )
for example the (nearly) future photo of the week at
http://www.photograp...cat=3097&page=1
has been automaticly resized...

About image size, I've made a test on a TFT screen of 1024 by 768:
* maximize the Internet explorer window (I have a google searchbar and a taskbar)
* select in the gallery an image of 600 by 600 e.g.
http://www.photograp...&cat=500&page=2
* see if some space is available to increase the image size

Conclusion:
I don't thing you can increase the heigth of the image (it just fit in the window and I cannot even read the tittle)
There is some free space at the left and right side of the image.
If I want the image to be as width as the grey bar with
[Add to Favorites | ... | Edit Photo] in it, I can increase the image width from 17 Cm to 21 Cm (I am using ISO standarts wink.gif )
With a rule of third It gives: 600*21/17 = 740 pixels.

So you could increase the Max allowable image width in pixels to 740 without changing the look of your pages.

You have certainly other constraints... dry.gif

What do you thing ? blink.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users