Photo

Jewelry Photography For Web - Can An Amateur Do It?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sancherry

Sancherry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:34 PM

Hi,

I thought I might attempt to take my own photos of jewelry (no diamonds or coloured gemstones, just silver and glass beads) for my online store. Call me crazy, but I am trying to learn how to do this on my own so I don't have to pay big bucks to a professional. I am going to buy a light tent. Tabletop has a jewelry photography package for $289.00 - it includes:
•12" light tent
•20" light tent
•White & Black Acrylic Platforms (for reflection shots)
•Short Tabletop Light Set with 10" reflectors
•TabletopStudio Sparkler Light with 5" reflector
•Three 5000K daylight color High CRI CFL Bulbs
•Small container of prop wax
•Anti static brush
•How to DVD

Is this worth it? I would also have to get a macro lens and Photoshop software.

Second question: for those photoshop users, do you think it will be possible to edit my own photos using photoshop if I've never used the software before (i.e., how long is the learning curve?) Any suggestions as to training manuals?
Please Help! sad.gif

#2 Steven S

Steven S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:45 AM

Yes you can do it. Not sure why you would need 2 tents. I suggest a gray card and shooting raw (or setting the manual white balance). Photoshop will easily handle what you want, but keep in mind, most browsers are not color managed (and most people do not have color calibrated monitors).

#3 christian2012

christian2012

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:43 PM

I had to refresh the page times to view this page for some reason, however, the information here was worth the wait.

#4 iibattery.com

iibattery.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:33 AM

Photoshop to learn basic processing and easy to read the tutorial.

I am a professional photographer based.nikon battery and charger,keyboard store

#5 printsnpaints

printsnpaints

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:08 AM

Taking your own photos is always worth it. Aside from saving money, you get to develop your photography skills. Learning Photoshop is easy, simply refer to various video tutorials available online.

#6 jasonbrien

jasonbrien

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

I think it is a great idea to improve your photography skills and to save money too. Its vague to give lots of money to other photographer for shooting of your jewelery. If you have basic knowledge of photography, you can do it on your own. If you are not able to take good pictures take help of some online editors to edit your images.

Wedding Videos Manchester

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users