Mamiya 645 Winding Problems

1 reply to this topic

#1 Patch

Patch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:30 AM

For ten years or so I have used Mamiya 645 manal focus, including the original 645, the 645J and more recently the 645E, but all eventually suffer from irregular frame spacing, which eventually becomes frame overlap.... Now it's getting to the point where I need to replace my camera (with secondhand), I recall that someone once mentioned that the 645 Super has a different winding mechanism which doesn't have the same fault - does anyone know if this is true? Are there any other common faults I should be aware of with the Super?

#2 usedfilm

usedfilm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:I'm interested in languages but, frustratingly, I cannot speak any fluently except English, and adequate French for functional conversations. I enjoy classical music and play the piano; possibly Rachmaninov is my favorite composer. I read all sorts of books. I am keen sailor and I love build boats, and still photography

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:33 PM

That's right the 645 Super has a different winding mechanism which doesn't have this fault.

Loading Film You can just load the paper back for this setup
Insert the loaded Roll Film Insert into the holder, the film roll on top,
While squeezing on both sides of the Release Latch. Make sure that is been properly seated and is locked in place.

With a screw driver hold down the back cover roller switch by firmly pressing down on this roller switch. Now with the back cover open you can the film advance system working.

You can wind up the crank handle until it stops. In the film counter window, the against the white index line (A) on the number 1 appears, and the film.

Now mark the paper back with a pen top and bottom of the frame

Giving the Film Advance Crank one complete turn, will cock the shutter
And mirror and ready the camera

Set the multiple exposure switching levers A to the white square mark 0 (normal mode).

Now you can check for movement in the crank film advancing system through out the full roll of film in this case it just the backing paper.

Take the roll; out of the camera and check the pen marks, you should see the marks on the backing paper they should be all the same spacing apart. If you have small and large spacing then this will be a faulty crank system.It need brass washers fitting on the top and bottom of the crank roller feed to stop it moving into and out.

captured memories of a motion picture photographer

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users