Polaroid Film Storage

2 replies to this topic

#1 danmdan

danmdan

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:55 PM

Can someone give me advice on storage of Polaroid SX70, 600 and/or Image film packs ? I recognise that these packs contain both a battery and a chemical pod - so am I best to store in a cool room, or in a domestic refrigerator.

Does anyone have experience of usage of previously stored but outdated film packs - and how long can I expect the film to remain viable ?

#2 natron

natron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (danmdan @ Dec 15 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can someone give me advice on storage of Polaroid SX70, 600 and/or Image film packs ? I recognise that these packs contain both a battery and a chemical pod - so am I best to store in a cool room, or in a domestic refrigerator.

Does anyone have experience of usage of previously stored but outdated film packs - and how long can I expect the film to remain viable ?

Best results; store at, but not below 0C.
Do not buy film more than 30 months out of date.
Properly stored film will extend its useful life by months to years.
Be aware that, because of its uncertain history, old film may exhibit various "artifacts" that you may find objectionable, disappointing, or interesting, depending on your expectations and point of view...

#3 danmdan

danmdan

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:03 PM

One experience so far might be useful to others. I'd advise checking the voltage of the integral battery-pack in SX 70/600/1200 filmpacks - this can easily be done by applying the probes of a voltmeter to the two battery contact pads which can be found of the bottom of the filmpack.

It appears that the nominal voltge is 6 volts or thereabouts, when the battery was new. I've found that a voltage of under 5 v is real bad news. On a Polaroid 1200 with permanently connected electronic flash I got just two shots away before the camera was unable to continue. The flash charging operation seemed to have sucked the remaining useful life out of a failing battery.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users