Infa-red Films

1 reply to this topic

#1 moeyer

moeyer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 02:59 PM

i'm new to this game, only stating seriously taking photos in the last year. i've seen an image taken with infa-red film and would like to experiment with it. if anyone has used it before and could give me some guidence it would be much appreciated.
cheers

#2 Peter Fagg

Peter Fagg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 06:44 PM

Films with enhanced red sensitivity can be used to produce a variety of pleasing effects. In particular, if the effect on the film of red and infra-red radiation is increased by filtration, substantially different tonal values can be achieved. This is most marked with healthy vegetation which reflects a high proportion of infra-red.

One misconception that is sometimes held is that infra-red films achieve their effect by recording infra-red emissions. But by far the most photographically significant source of infra-red is reflection of the suns' rays. Interesting infra-red effects occur because subjects such as vegetation reflect infra-red radiation to a different degree than they do the visible spectrum.

Another misconception sometimes held is that infra-red films are only sensitive to infra-red. In fact they are like normal panchromatic films except that they have extended red sensitivity to longer electromagnetic wavelengths. Stronger or weaker infra-red effects are achieved by using filters to suppress the visible spectrum relative to the infra-red.

The most pronounced effects are achieved by using a filter such as a Wratten 87 or 88, B+W RG665 or equivalent that cut off all visible light. All such filters lower the amount of light reaching the film and this must be compensated for. However photographic meters are not designed for infra-red sensitivity and so exposure is generally a matter of trial and error. Wide bracketing is the best insurance.

Quoted from http://www.silverprint.co.uk/bwf6.html

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users