• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 wcbert

wcbert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 07:58 PM

The price is right and its to cheapfor me not to go now. I been planning to go for almost two years but could never go for many reasons. So during March 11- 21, I will be visiting Lisbon and Porta, alone with my 10D. If anyone has been there and want to share some information they have, I would love to read about it. smile.gif

Thanks
Bill

#2 rcco

rcco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 07:56 PM

hello bill, first can i tell that all except one (snapshot III) of my shots in my photographyblog gallery are from lisbon, if you already saw something about lisbon i think you will recognize some of them...
by the way what kind of information you want? site seeing, restaurants, history? i guess you want generic information in the internet form, right? smile.gif
(just a note: i think what you mean with 'porta' is actually oporto (porto in portuguese smile.gif)

----
rcco

#3 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 05:30 PM

I'm off to Tenerife in late February to photograph the Carnival, so if anyone has any travel tips then let me know :-)
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#4 wcbert

wcbert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (rcco @ Jan 10 2004, 07:56 PM)
all except one (snapshot III) of my shots in my photographyblog gallery are from lisbon

(just a note: i think what you mean with 'porta' is actually oporto (porto in portuguese smile.gif)

rcco

So what is the web address so I can have a look at your photos.

The Porta is a typo. Sometimes my mind is not in phase of the country I am talking about.

Like in Italian its ciao and I have typed chow.smile.gif

Porto is the hard one to find reliable information on, especially from what I read there is major construction for a subway system. One the days I will be there, I like to know before I go what it open. Also I thinking about at least one day trip from Porto any suggestions?

Bill

#5 rcco

rcco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 12:37 AM

hello again bill, here is my gallery, sorry for the delay...

suggestions?! hum...
in oporto... i guess you can't miss the 'serralves' foundation (fundação serralves, with its museum of contemporary art and park - see the link) and the house of music (casa da música) - just to mention what i can recall from memory... i'm not sure if house of music is already open to the public or not, but has a building, i think it can suprise you smile.gif (don't miss the 'douro' region and their 'porto' wine, the bridges, the old side of the city...)
in lisbon there is plenty to see too tongue.gif, like the 'oceanario' (a big aquarium laugh.gif in the new side of 'this emerging new city' where the 'expo 98' toke place (oh my! i sound like a politician/salesman, forgive me laugh.gif ) - and don't miss 'siza's vieira' building near the 'oceanario'); you can see several churchs (see my shoots, 2 inside and 2 outside), the 'belém' cultural center (ccb for short - one of my shots tongue.gif - by the way, at 21 or 22 of march (probably the sunday) in ccb there is the spring party and almost for sure you will find me and others taking photos of that ocasion/party) and much more ('castelo de são jorge', the 'miradores' - like terraces with several great views to the city tongue.gif - sorry i must stop smile.gif)
well i don't want to be too long (but at night don't miss 'bairro alto', 'docas', etc in lisbon - and several other in oporto...)

ps: i think lisbon is also known as the 'city of light' and the 'city of the seven hills'
ps2: a new concept!, "city photography guide", laugh.gif

more? smile.gif

----
rcco

#6 wcbert

wcbert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 04:02 PM

No reason to apologize rcco.

Thanks for the info and I checked your photos. They are great and some of them break the rules. I notice your nighttime photo of the Monument to the Discoveries and now I know I can get some night time photos there. For the CCB it seem it not going to happen, I will be in Porto March 18 - 21 and fly back home on the 22. But there is always a next time. I will be in Lisbon between March 10 - 18, so if you know of any inexpensive restaurants I like to hear about them.

Thanks
Bill

#7 rcco

rcco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (markgoldstein @ Jan 11 2004, 05:30 PM)
I'm off to Tenerife in late February to photograph the Carnival, so if anyone has any travel tips then let me know :-)

but the way mark... any thoughts about shoting the Carnival (anywhere and in no particular place!) i mean any tips to get "that" special shot? tongue.gif

and 'bon voyage' smile.gif hope it all goes well smile.gif

#8 rcco

rcco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 09:16 PM

hello bill,

"inexpensive restaurants", hum... those "junk" food restaurants, are relatively cheap tongue.gif but you don't want to miss our own cuisine (more traditional or not) but beware of those more expensive restaurants like those found near down-town... i guess those restaurants near working areas are good enough, "fast", "not so expensive" and in general good smile.gif (in zones like 'alvalade', 'rato', 'columbano', etc - hope this make any sense huh.gif) - chinese restaurants are a good choice too.

i think for 'nighttime photos' there are a few spots to shot, special monuments and some churchs (obviously and if the weather conditions allow you to, you can even do a panorama of the city at night... and if there is a full moon, "my god" - in the right angle, the moon reflection in the river... - ups, i'm rambling, time to go laugh.gif)

and yes, always next time (for ccb and other things), hope you return smile.gif

ps: i guess you will miss the 2004?! but go listen some 'fado' at 'moraria'/'alfama'... (am i being to verbose? tongue.gif)

----
rcco

#9 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 11:18 AM

rcco, I find that taking an expensive and big camera often makes people think that you are a press photographer, especially if you stick a flashgun on top. This often (but not always) gives you access to areas that the general public aren't allowed in. If anyone specifically asks who you work for, just reply "oh, I'm freelance" smile.gif
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#10 wcbert

wcbert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 02:12 PM

rocco

Sorry I should have asked about this. Any bullfights will be going on when I visit Portugal or is it to early in the year to see any. If it is to early then when is the best time to go to Portugal to see bullfighting, for my next trip to Portugal. smile.gif))

Bill

#11 wcbert

wcbert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (markgoldstein @ Jan 23 2004, 11:18 AM)
This often (but not always) gives you access to areas that the general public aren't allowed in. If anyone specifically asks who you work for, just reply "oh, I'm freelance" smile.gif

I had that happen to me last year in Tuscany, Siena to be exact. There was a parade and the locals would make room for me to take my photos. I even walk in the middle of the parade and the police did not even stop me. I did not use the camera's external flash but I did have 10D, battery grip and 135mm 2.0L lens does make for a serious looking camera.

I guess I should learn how to say "Freelance Photographer" in Portuguese before I go.

Bill

#12 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 02:49 PM

Or just take an official looking business card with you smile.gif
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#13 wcbert

wcbert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (markgoldstein @ Jan 23 2004, 02:49 PM)
Or just take an official looking business card with you smile.gif

I wonder if I can print them from my Epson 2200 printer. At least we know they would not fade in 70 years but will I live that long. smile.gif))

Bill

#14 rcco

rcco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (wcbert @ Jan 23 2004, 02:12 PM)
(...) Any bullfights will be going on when I visit Portugal or is it to early in the year to see any. If it is to early then when is the best time to go to Portugal to see bullfighting, for my next trip to Portugal. smile.gif))

yes, its early for that! my initial information says that the bullfighting season starts in april and goes till october... but don't come back only for that!! sad.gif

#15 rcco

rcco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 07:27 PM

mark, thanks about that tip about the "freelance" photographer smile.gif - i must try it right wink.gif you too bill, thank you...
i hope get it right laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users