Recommendations?

8 replies to this topic

#1 dtnyc383

dtnyc383

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:52 AM

I realize that there are quite a few options out there, so let's hear some opinions.

I just purchased a Nikon D-100, and have been snapping away. Great...they look fantastic on my computer, but what's the best/affordable was to get them in hand? I generally prefer 8.5 x 11, or 11 x 14.

Thanks in advance!

#2 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 10:41 AM

I'd recommend the Epson R800 for best quality - read my review here:

http://www.photograp..._photo_r800.php
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#3 Guest_Barry Fitzgerald_*

Guest_Barry Fitzgerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:06 AM

Seems odd that when this forum went offline for maintenance, all my posts were removed. I.E inflated cost of inkjets for Epson and HP??? Is there a vested interest here?

#4 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:09 PM

Barry, the loss of posts wasn't done on purpose. We had a few issues with the database and had to go back to an older working version.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#5 Guest_barryfitzgerald_*

Guest_barryfitzgerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2005 - 07:42 PM

Well as all my posts have mysteriously gone, for the benefit of photographers I shall re post my info.

I work in the pc industry so I hope my information is valid, and handy

I advise caution when purchasing any printer, esp for photo use. High ink costs are not covered in detail in reviews on this or many other sites. With extensive printing use, a bad choice could end up being an expensive one. Read as many different reviews as possible before buying anything. Avoid the super cheap printers or multifunction ones, they cost a fortune to run.

Epson & HP are region locking replacement cartridges, to prevent consumers buying cheaper ones from abroad. Also treat with a pinch of salt any claims of superior quality inks from the original manufacturer. Almost impossible to tell any difference at all.

The EU is conducting an investigation into anti competetive behaviour in this industry. HP and Epson are the two biggest worries on this issue. Ink costs more per ml than inported russian caviar and the most expensive champagne in the world.

My own personal suggestion is to avoid HP and Epson, due to their track record of making life hard for consumers (also ink low warnings are turning up too soon)

I have found the Canon range of IP printers very good, and independent tests have shown good ink cost and economy too. Hope this is of use to some people!

#6 Drewhound

Drewhound

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:04 PM

A few months ago I managed to buy a Canon i9950 A3+ printer at a knockdown price (the company made a pricing error). It's an 8 ink printer which gives great results, I can't compare it with others but I'm very pleased with it. The cartridges are about 1.30 each (not from Canon lol) and the level is checked optically, ie when it says low they really are low. IE it's cheap to run.

The speed is also amazing, about 4 minutes for a full size A3 photo with full colour on best quality. It's probably more than you want, and more than I could have afforded at the full price, but the A4 version should be comparable. There's no region or cartridge software problems to deal with either.

#7 FlashSpeedo

FlashSpeedo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:27 AM

an old topic, but here's my two cents:
I've been using a Canon i9900 for nearly a year now and am perfectly satisfied with it. probably similar to the i9950 Drewhound mentioned. it's an 8C printer, prints amazing color quality in 11"x13" size (A3). I usually print 11x14" prints on 13x19 paper. I don't print a lot of stuff, and I only use it for photos. But the speed is great and I have no complaints at all about the printer.

- FlashSpeedo
www.the-picture-gallery.com

#8 Guest_Steve G_*

Guest_Steve G_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:34 PM

I spent a lot for an Epson Stylus Photo 820 a few years ago. If I leave it for more than a week without printing anything then one or more of the print colors quits and will not recover in spite of multiple maintenance cycles. I have wasted a lot of money on this thing and will enjoy dumping it this weekend. The most trouble is from blue and black it seems.

My next printer will be something other than Epson or HP (I'm an HP hater for many other reasons, not printer related)

So the search begins: price, warranty, ink cost and availability
Guess that means Canon. or ?

#9 JustInSane

JustInSane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE (barryfitzgerald @ Sep 3 2005, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My own personal suggestion is to avoid HP and Epson, due to their track record of making life hard for consumers (also ink low warnings are turning up too soon)

Good advice. I almost went for an Epson R1800, but then discovered that they embed chips in their cartridges to monopolize the ink market. I feel like if I buy that printer, I'm contributing to this industry wide ink scam.

I notice you recommend Canon. I'm looking for a high quality large format inkjet that does not involve any of the following scams:
  • Encryption chips in the cartridge to monopolize ink sales
  • Dot counters in the cartridge that permanently disable usage after so many drops have been sprayed, to prevent reuse
  • "Cleaning routines" that run daily to siphon off ink, even if the printer is not in use
  • Photo sensors to detect when a cartridge is almost empty, so the printer can go unoperational before the remaining is used.
Where do the different Canon models stand on these issues? Have any large format printers gone the ethical route? I'm particularly interested in finding a printer that has a built-in CIS, so I can simply use ink bottles in bulk produced by anyone.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users