Epson R800 Or Hp Photosmart 8450?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_liquify_*

Guest_liquify_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:12 AM

Hi all!

I'm a designer and i do lot of photo / drawing prints. I've read both reviews and i just cant decide.

Can you please help me?

thanks

#2 eltel22

eltel22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:11 PM

This might be a bit late, but I have found HP's build quality to be atrocious. I only had one of their printers, and I binned it in the end. It was held together with flimsy plastic clips. And at the first sign of a paper jam - they snapped like a bit of biscuit.

I now have an Epson R800, and it is a spanking printer. I have also just got the R1800 also, which is A3+. They take the same ink cartridges, which is useful. You do use more cyan than any other ink, but that's OK, because you can buy them separately.

One issue though, is the paper. Ilford silk finish is fine for the R800, as are most gloss ink jet papers. But for the R1800 I got Epson paper, and it is unbelievably thin! But, it dries out almost instantaneously. By contrast, papers like the Ilford, remain tacky for a few hours.

#3 madhale

madhale

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 02:41 AM

one word: epson

#4 Guest_fgapl_*

Guest_fgapl_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (eltel22 @ Oct 13 2005, 12:11 PM)
This might be a bit late, but I have found HP's build quality to be atrocious.  I only had one of their printers, and I binned it in the end.  It was held together with flimsy plastic clips.  And at the first sign of a paper jam - they snapped like a bit of biscuit.

I now have an Epson R800, and it is a spanking printer.  I have also just got the R1800 also, which is A3+.  They take the same ink cartridges, which is useful.  You do use more cyan than any other ink, but that's OK, because you can buy them separately. 

One issue though, is the paper.  Ilford silk finish is fine for the R800, as are most gloss ink jet papers.  But for the R1800 I got Epson paper, and it is unbelievably thin!  But, it dries out almost instantaneously.  By contrast, papers like the Ilford, remain tacky for a few hours.

Hi,

Please, could you tell me if the R800 is able to print on a 8'' paper roll and not only on a smaller one (width).
I haven't find this information on the Epson web site.
Maybe you know also what's the maximum lenght this printer is able to print in one time. I plan to print large panoramas and think this R800 could be the right solution...

forwarding to read you soon.

#5 Guest_Channel6_*

Guest_Channel6_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2005 - 01:12 PM

http://www.tomshardw...1229/index.html

Conclusion

The conclusion is easy to draw: If you're looking only for quality, the Stylus Photo R800 is the only choice. In all areas - including black and white - it is the printer with the best fidelity of reproduction. It's closely followed in this area by the Canon Pixma IP8500, which claimed the record for printing speed and a has very advantageous cost per page. The Photosmart 8450 has only its numerous additional functions and excellent printing quality in black and white to recommended it. But these two points are offset by its mediocre printing speed and extremely high cost per page.

#6 lakeview

lakeview

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 07:28 PM

Of course choose Epson.
the cost of epson cartridge may be slighly higher than hp or canon, but you can install bulk ink system to avoid it.

InkRepublic R800, R1800 ink system

read the reviews of their system:
Reviews of ink system

#7 stewart bywater

stewart bywater

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:11 PM

I've got a photosmart 8450 and it is excellent. All these criticisms seem totally unfounded to me! smile.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users