Photo

Self Training Dvd From Alienideas

43 replies to this topic

Poll: Alienideas FocusON: a guide to digital imaging. Good, bad or indifferent (www.alienideas.com for samples and info)

Alienideas FocusON: a guide to digital imaging. Good, bad or indifferent (www.alienideas.com for samples and info)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Guest_Jamie_*

Guest_Jamie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:41 PM

I hear rumours that the BIPP are now using the IQA document that the Alienideas FocusON DVD is based on for their training for members - ie - they're using the FocusON DVD! - its gathering pace this Aliens roadshow tongue.gif

Has anyone had a conflict with the video clips adobe reader and Quicktime??? If so I just got an e-mail and the fix is now out there - download the latest version of reader (7.0.5 I think) this has made my copies clips fly onto the screen - very high res and very useful - better than pages and pages of text trying to explain a technical issue in my opinion.

enjoy now!

Jamie Rushford

#32 desertpea

desertpea

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:36 PM

The Monty Python Show .... spam, spam, spam, spam, spam ... spam is OFF.

#33 lightingman

lightingman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (Jamie @ Oct 14 2005, 02:41 PM)
I hear rumours that the BIPP are now using the IQA document that the Alienideas FocusON DVD is based on for their training for members - ie - they're using the FocusON DVD! - its gathering pace this Aliens roadshow  tongue.gif

Has anyone had a conflict with the video clips adobe reader and Quicktime??? If so I just got an e-mail and the fix is now out there - download the latest version of reader (7.0.5 I think) this has made my copies clips fly onto the screen - very high res and very useful - better than pages and pages of text trying to explain a technical issue in my opinion.

enjoy now!

Jamie Rushford

"Jamie,"

Why doesn't your dodgy firm stop clogging up all the forums with your spam?

If the product is as good as you say it is then it will sell without the spam and without the false testimonials.

Or I suppose you could just be honest and pay for your advertising?

#34 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (lightingman @ Oct 15 2005, 06:18 PM)
QUOTE (Jamie @ Oct 14 2005, 02:41 PM)
I hear rumours that the BIPP are now using the IQA document that the Alienideas FocusON DVD is based on for their training for members - ie - they're using the FocusON DVD! - its gathering pace this Aliens roadshow tongue.gif

enjoy now!

Jamie Rushford

"Jamie,"

Why doesn't your dodgy firm stop clogging up all the forums with your spam?

If the product is as good as you say it is then it will sell without the spam and without the false testimonials.

Or I suppose you could just be honest and pay for your advertising?

#35 Guest_Charles Dentrest_*

Guest_Charles Dentrest_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:12 PM

How very odd! - Spam or not this posting has a tremendous amount of viewings - lighting man - I see you've been all over thid forum putting this company down - for my pennysworth I have no beef with them and as far as I'm concerned as a small business owner myself I like their type of advertising if it is advertising. I have checked out the IQA and I suggest you do the same - wha they are talking about has serious ramifications for the photographic industry - just take a look at who has been involved in the guidelines and tell me they are dodgy??? but I suppose to you a little successful company like the Alienideas lot it too much for you to bear? give it a rest unless you can come up with constructive comments.
dry.gif

Charlie

#36 lightingman

lightingman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (Charles Dentrest @ Oct 27 2005, 02:12 PM)
How very odd! - Spam or not this posting has a tremendous amount of viewings - lighting man - I see you've been all over thid forum putting this company down - for my pennysworth I have no beef with them and as far as I'm concerned as a small business owner myself I like their type of advertising if it is advertising. I have checked out the IQA and I suggest you do the same - wha they are talking about has serious ramifications for the photographic industry  - just take a look at who has been involved in the guidelines and tell me they are dodgy??? but I suppose to you a little successful company like the Alienideas lot it too much for you to bear?  give it a rest unless you can come up with constructive comments.
dry.gif

Charlie

#37 lightingman

lightingman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:31 PM

I don't feel that I am putting these people down. What I object to is the spam postings, if they want to promote their product they should do it honestly and either pay for their advertising or wait and see whether they get genuine recommendations from people. What they are doing is dishonest

As for the the recommendations by leading lights in the industry, if these recommendations are genuine then thats fine but they are sending out free copies asking prominent people to put their name to it. I know this because they sent it to me and asked for my support. In my view the only recommendations that mean anything are from people who have genuinely bought it. And anyway some of the spam postings on another site were in the names of leading players. One complained that he had not posted it so I think its verylikely that the others were fake too.

The product itself is OK, nothing special but the presentation is good and its easy to follow. The contents are similar to printed books but the animations help to to make it easier to follow. I think they should have put more effort into getting the content right and maybe a bit less on the presentation.

As for the IQA guidelines these are basically what the industry has been using for years but I think this is the first time that anyone has got around to trying to create a uniform standard, so although there's nothing new in the guidelines they may be helpful to some newcomers.

#38 donmac

donmac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:02 PM

A whole load of newbies and unregisters suddenly start a rave discussion about some software.
Somebody needs to go back to con artist school. biggrin.gif

#39 Guest_Greg - I will not register!&_*

Guest_Greg - I will not register!&_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (donmac @ Oct 29 2005, 09:02 PM)
A whole load of newbies and unregisters suddenly start a rave discussion about some software.
Somebody needs to go back to con artist school. biggrin.gif

Perhaps they do but I for one never register on websites as the tons of spam blocking my inbox really annoys me from sites that prommise never to sell your details but suddenly you start recieving crud! - Have you seen a copy of this DVD? You should have a gander - I bought their earlier version 3 years ago and although it needed plishing the content was very well writen and the endorsements speak for them selves - so forget the spammers and make your own mind up.

Greg cool.gif

#40 donmac

donmac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:53 PM

There is no spam clogging my inbox Greg, alias Rory alias Mary alias Vincent alias guest etc.
The only spam I've seen lately is yours.
PS would you like to buy a spam filter dvd.

#41 donmac

donmac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:57 PM

Hi donmac, my name is donmac too. Ive heard about that spam filter dvd, its fantastic. I really think you should buy it Greg and Vincent and Mary.

#42 Guest_Guest_donmac_*_*

Guest_Guest_donmac_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE (donmac @ Oct 31 2005, 09:57 PM)
Hi donmac, my name is donmac too. Ive heard about that spam filter dvd, its fantastic. I really think you should buy it Greg and Vincent and Mary.

WOW - my name is donmac as well - Spam or not I went to the Alienideas website and have downloaded the free Wedding Master Class by Nigel Harper - if this is the quality of free advice you get from spamming then bring it on!!!!

Donmac - have a look yourself and then comment please!

donmac junior ph34r.gif

#43 Guest_George Mitchell_*

Guest_George Mitchell_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2005 - 12:51 PM

Hello to all,

Sorry for not being registered but I tend not to on the web due to a bad incident! - I'm wondering if anyone has seen another product like this out there and if so is it comparable in content, quality and price? I think 29.99 is a 'no brainer' at the mo but would appreciate any other feedback.

Thanks

George

blink.gif

#44 Guest_Philip Taylor - not registered&_*

Guest_Philip Taylor - not registered&_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (George Mitchell @ Nov 2 2005, 12:51 PM)
Hello to all,

Sorry for not being registered but I tend not to on the web due to a bad incident! - I'm wondering if anyone has seen another product like this out there and if so is it comparable in content, quality and price? I think 29.99 is a 'no brainer' at the mo but would appreciate any other feedback.

Thanks

George

blink.gif

Its been quiet for a while so I thought a bit of honest feedback would be worth while - I bought mine off ebay like dozens of others are doing for the knockdown price of 22 - I was going to get it for 15 but got snipped at the last!

Sysyems set up doesn't do much for me but I'm in IT so kind of know what to do as regards system set up and trouble shooting. Photography and Lighting section did not asume I had any skill which is fine as to start from the basics is ok - no flab just well writen notes. File manipulation was a godsend as my Cs and CS2 skills are basically bad habits I'd picked up from a million trade shows and again staerted from the begining - it doesn't go really really into the really creative elements but gives you core skills so moving on from here has been a doddle. File output for me was fine - just s it says on the lid - it tells you how to output files and comes with a handy list of what to write to a 'lab' if you're new to the pro photography scene.

So for me who you would rate as an enthusiast I found it more than handy and will be refering back to it as and when I need to. It has good endorsements and so far I can't find much like it (apart from some good USA videos on Photoshop but they only cover the one subject)

Hope you can take what you need from this.

Philip

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users