Photo

Self Training Dvd From Alienideas

43 replies to this topic

Poll: Alienideas FocusON: a guide to digital imaging. Good, bad or indifferent (www.alienideas.com for samples and info)

Alienideas FocusON: a guide to digital imaging. Good, bad or indifferent (www.alienideas.com for samples and info)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rory Cameron

Rory Cameron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:15 AM

Dear all,

Apologies for landing this one on you - I was trained by the New York Institute for Photography when I went digital 3 years ago - lovely people - not great training.

A magazine editor just told me of a brand new self training DVD he's just got to review called FocusON: a guide to digital imaging by Alienideas (the publishers). The reviews are outstanding and from the samples it looks as if it is going to do the job of training me (after spending thousands!) better than the NY institute. It is a new style of PDF e-book with embedded video clips and links to selected websites

Have any of you lot seen it/ used it or can you say if there is something better - my club based in Malaysia is screaming out for a good self training product and before we go ahead and by 80-90 copies I would REALLY value your advice.

best wishes

Rory (digital for 3 years - confused for most of that time!, its the profiles and WYSIWYG that gets me!)
blink.gif

#2 Digi dreams.com

Digi dreams.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:32 AM

Hello Rory,

Oddly enough I'm looking at this DVD to satisfy my students requirements as well - I work in the HE field in Lancaster and we found this about two weeks ago. a review copy was sent ans so far I can't fault it at all. They recommend you load the entire DVD onto your hard drive so the video clips load quicker which they certainly do.

All I can suggest is have a look at the revies they have so far (I've copied and pasted direct from their site)

A stand alone training course, set-up guide and reference book... if anything, an understatement... absolute steal."
The Photographer (Master Photographers Association UK Magazine)
"A goldmine of information - a "must" for anyone interested in photo imaging."
Charles Green FBIPP, FRPS, FRSA, M Photog., MEI Cr., F-ASP

“From the beginning exact procedures are used… real examples are shown... everything in these chapters is true… a digital brain transplant. Top flight photographers... examples of technique… excellent images… high creative content… detailed inside info … ideal.”
Master Photographer (official magazine of the Master Photographers Association UK)

"Invaluable - the digital photographers' 'Bible'."
Nigel Harper ABIPP, AMPA, CrGWP

“A complete training course, set-up guide and reference work for professional imaging – in this case it is, if anything, an understatement. Easy to read and well designed. Learn in your own way and at your own speed. Highly recommended. Packed with information and an invaluable summary of photographic techniques, it’s an absolute steal.”
The Photographer - British Institute of Professional Photography Magazine

“Industry standard, outstanding.”
X-Rite

“Fast, informative and practical. Tried and tested solutions, very good indeed.”
Fujifilm

“Best practice… saves time and money. Highly recommended.”
George Dawber FMPA, FBIPP President, Master Photographers Association 2001/2

“Excellent, informative, easy to follow. I urge anyone to get this DVD.”
Ray Lowe FBIPP, FMPA, FRPS President, British Institute of Professional Photography 2001/2.

"Photographers will, improve quality, increase efficiency and save money.”
Russell Baston ABIPP, BIPP Regional Chairman Northumbria University Photography Department

"The best practice guide for digital photography.”
TypeMaker

We now offer it as the course book for all our digital photography courses - institutes and clubs get discounts.

I hope this helped - good luck

Mark

#3 Underwater Gaz

Underwater Gaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:42 AM

Hi all,

I got Alienideas first training guide about 3 years ago at the 'Focus on Imaging show at the NEC (UK photography show)
it was a basic pdf on CD - they e-mailed me a few weeks back saying they had this new version out with updates of the technologies etc. Very very good! - Quicktime clips run for about an hour and 30 mins - really valuable content and it explains the complexities of profiles and WYSIWYG so bloody well!

Get it now - I have never seen anything like it and am glad to rave about it for Alien ideas as they let me buy it at 50% 'cos I was an old customer - but it is still a no brainer at 29.99

To much to list here but their samples page should give you an idea of the content - very comprehensive.

Happy snapping - Gaz

#4 Rory Cameron

Rory Cameron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:45 AM

Cheers digi dreams - Your help is appreciated - I did not expect a reply quite so soon!

Ta Rory

#5 Rory Cameron

Rory Cameron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:47 AM

Hello Gaz,

Thanks for your reply - I need to feel confident before spending the clubs money and you've helped in a big way.

ta Rory

#6 David Jones

David Jones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:52 AM

As the others have said - good product I use it all the time.

Dave

#7 Guest_Mary Hatcher_*

Guest_Mary Hatcher_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:04 PM

Got 2 agree good product. have been using it for 4 weeks now but had been looking for 4 years!

Mary

#8 Guest_Vincent_*

Guest_Vincent_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:06 PM

Yep - had a look at their site - looks good am going in to investigate - will report back ph34r.gif

Vince

#9 Guest_Vincent_*

Guest_Vincent_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:38 PM

Hey not bad! it also has a shed load of web resourses on the website links page - must be 100s!

Have been looking for a while for something definitive so am going to give it a go.

good thread, thanks Rory

biggrin.gif

#10 Guest_Guest_Paul_*_*

Guest_Guest_Paul_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:01 PM

Found it usefull and take the quick reference booklet with me everywhere - don't make my mistake and not read the cd first as its v technical but the cd explains it all very simply!

thats my pennysworth!

P.Web rolleyes.gif

#11 Wild Shooter

Wild Shooter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:24 PM

I like this one - just seen your posting in the websites lists, had a look and like the endorsements too. You need to see credibilty brfore you buy and they seem to have it. I've not heard of them before - do they have any other products that you know of?

Brian, shooting in Tanzania!

#12 Digi dreams.com

Digi dreams.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:36 AM

Hiya Brian,

Not as far as I know - I called them on 0118 9773371 (in the uk) They told me have been working on this one for a few years and also work with the curriculum people to get it into universities as recognised course work as it adheres to the new guidelines as set out by the IQA Institute of Quality assurance, digital group who are releasing the rules on image management - something we'd all better get used too!

There was a mention of a digital video skills dvd coming out but not sure when.

If you have any bad habits or need help this is the one for you - totally pro and very informative with some natty video clips and flash animations.

give them a call, they were happy to advise me.

best

Mark
cool.gif

#13 Guest_josh fields_*

Guest_josh fields_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:29 PM

I gotta say its about time. I cant tell you how long Ive been tearing my hair out - good tipoff
smile.gif

#14 Guest_Matt Henshaw - Jambo na Safari n_*

Guest_Matt Henshaw - Jambo na Safari n_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 11:25 AM

Hi all,

Its worth mentioning as a follow up to this that they are the company involved with the IQA directly so it is no surprise that their product is the only one to adhere to these new emerging standards. Miles ahead of the competition - apparently the NY Institute of Photography use it as their de-facto coursework as well - thats credibility - got mine loaded up on the hard drive and it works well - video clips are good as are the two free master classes you get if you register your product. have a look to make your own minds up at....
alienideas home page

Matt - kwaheri rafiki

#15 lightingman

lightingman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:02 PM

Very good presentation, well laid out and attractive format. But really its all beginner stuff, with basic info that you can find in any book, and some of the content is wrong anyway.

It seems to me that they should have put a bit more thought into getting the content right and a bit less on making a reallyslick product.

Their marketing is really good though. Has anyone else noticed that the same names are posting rave reveiws on every photography website? Are these people really trying to help other photographers discover the greatest thing since sliced bread or or they just part of the marketing effort?

All in alll a good intro to basic photography but there are much better products out there.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users