Photo

Self Training Dvd From Alienideas

43 replies to this topic

Poll: Alienideas FocusON: a guide to digital imaging. Good, bad or indifferent (www.alienideas.com for samples and info)

Alienideas FocusON: a guide to digital imaging. Good, bad or indifferent (www.alienideas.com for samples and info)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Guest_Matt Henshaw - Jambo na Safari n_*

Guest_Matt Henshaw - Jambo na Safari n_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:11 AM

Interesting how you say the content is wrong but don't say what is wrong - tell me 'cos I'm using it to improve my technical knowledge!???

i bought a copy 'cos it meets the IQAs guidlines for best practise - definately good for beginers but if you REALLY have a copy i think you'l find it takes you to a very advanced level too! - don't suppose you run a photo course yourself do you??

plus I've never seen a book with over 90 mins of video clips or 100's of links to good websites - have you got their free Masterclass from Nigel Harper on Wedding photography - bloody good and I've been a wedding photographer for 6 years.

I've also seen other blog sites mention this - I'm a member on two - I'm glad that people do shout about a good thing when they see it.

Matt - ana chezi sana bwana!

#17 Guest_Felix Terrert_*

Guest_Felix Terrert_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:38 AM

Got to say - I was not thinking of looking but then I saw these....

A stand alone training course, set-up guide and reference book... if anything, an understatement... absolute steal."
The Photographer (Master Photographers Association UK Magazine)

"A goldmine of information - a "must" for anyone interested in photo imaging."
Charles Green FBIPP, FRPS, FRSA, M Photog., MEI Cr., F-ASP

“From the beginning exact procedures are used… real examples are shown... everything in these chapters is true… a digital brain transplant. Top flight photographers... examples of technique… excellent images… high creative content… detailed inside info … ideal.”
Master Photographer (official magazine of the Master Photographers Association UK)

"Invaluable - the digital photographers' 'Bible'."
Nigel Harper ABIPP, AMPA, CrGWP

“A complete training course, set-up guide and reference work for professional imaging – in this case it is, if anything, an understatement. Easy to read and well designed. Learn in your own way and at your own speed. Highly recommended. Packed with information and an invaluable summary of photographic techniques, it’s an absolute steal.”
The Photographer - British Institute of Professional Photography Magazine

“Industry standard, outstanding.”
X-Rite

“Fast, informative and practical. Tried and tested solutions, very good indeed.”
Fujifilm

“Best practice… saves time and money. Highly recommended.”
George Dawber FMPA, FBIPP President, Master Photographers Association 2001/2

“Excellent, informative, easy to follow. I urge anyone to get this DVD.”
Ray Lowe FBIPP, FMPA, FRPS President, British Institute of Professional Photography 2001/2.

"Photographers will, improve quality, increase efficiency and save money.”
Russell Baston ABIPP, BIPP Regional Chairman Northumbria University Photography Department

"The best practice guide for digital photography.”
TypeMaker

You just can't argue with that kind of backup - have you seen who wrote it as well! most of our industry!

I'm getting a copy and will review it and post back here ASAP.

Felix wink.gif

#18 Guest_Gary Fisher_*

Guest_Gary Fisher_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:07 PM

yep got to say - never seen a book that goes into so much detail especially on subjects like file output, image management WYSIWYG and profiling etc!

Books - pah - save the planet and get with technology!

Gary biggrin.gif

#19 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:05 PM

I dont think its bad, its got a lot of good info in it and Im sure there are things in it that will help on the computer side, but the general photography and the lighting stuff is very basic and just looks like reprints from old books. The thing about spam postings is right, I help to moderate a large photo website and weve had loads of these spam postings all from brand new members singing its praises. All a bit obvious really, if they want to promote it they should pay for their advertising not use spam postings and giving free copies away to people to praise it

#20 Guest_Dom Spencer_*

Guest_Dom Spencer_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:31 AM

So what are you saying?? Is this spam posting - not like I've seen before - or genuinely happy people?

#21 Guest_Guest_Lightingman_*_*

Guest_Guest_Lightingman_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (Dom Spencer @ Sep 13 2005, 10:31 AM)
So what are you saying?? Is this spam posting  - not like I've seen before - or genuinely happy people?

I'm not saying that all of the posts are spam, but there are many identical posts, appearing on photography websites, so you can draw your own conclusions.

I'm not knocking the product, even though some of the content is very basic and they don't seem to understand some of the things they're trying to teach, for example the way the Inverse Square Law works, I just feel that they should pay for their advertising instead of using spam postings.

I think the proposed 'best practice' guidelines will be good once they are finished, but lets not get carried away. The DVD salesmen are just recommending these guidelines, they are not part of the same setup.

And no, I don't run courses myself and don't have anything to gain.

#22 Badger

Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:55 PM

These posts are so boring, I can't be bothered to look at the software. This is a demonstration on how not to market your wares.

#23 Guest_Col_*

Guest_Col_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2005 - 02:19 PM

You're not wrong - Yawn! shame as it looks ok

#24 Guest_Tony Brigmaster_*

Guest_Tony Brigmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:40 AM

It is a VERY boring way of marketing your product guys!!! - but saying that we're all still talking about it
biggrin.gif

#25 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:22 PM

I'm getting a copy for review soon, so hopefully that will answer the question of is it any good or not!
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#26 Guest_Guest_Jacob_*_*

Guest_Guest_Jacob_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2005 - 09:44 AM

Hello mark, any news yet - I want a review from a reputable site like this before buying and am impatient :-)

Jacob Helst

#27 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:22 AM

Hi Jacob,

I now have a review copy and will be testing it in the next few days...

QUOTE (Guest_Jacob_* @ Sep 21 2005, 09:44 AM)
Hello mark, any news yet - I want a review from a reputable site like this before buying and am impatient :-)

Jacob Helst

Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#28 Guest_Marcy Bywalters_*

Guest_Marcy Bywalters_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:34 PM

Glad to hear that Mark - I have just spent an hour on my other fav site (e-bay) and found them for sale - am watching this space with interest.

M

#29 Guest_Colin Arronte_*

Guest_Colin Arronte_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (Marcy Bywalters @ Sep 21 2005, 02:34 PM)
Glad to hear that Mark - I have just spent an hour on my other fav site (e-bay) and found them for sale - am watching this space with interest.

M

Mr Mark :-)

Please review it quickly - I've seen the publishers selling them on e-bay for £2 !!!!

Best

Colin

#30 Guest_Carey Mason_*

Guest_Carey Mason_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:07 PM

Mr Mark :-)

Please review it quickly - I've seen the publishers selling them on e-bay for £2 !!!!

Best

Colin

[/quote]

There are loads of reviews about this on American forum sites. I've got a friend who has a copy who says it does the job and a bit more :-) Apparently it is still on ebay for $3 or such like as Alienideas are setting up a store and need the feedback - their feedback is positive so far and at $3 is too good a chance to miss - use it and then sell it on!

This is the longest thread I've seen on photographyblog!

Carey

I tried linking to the USA sites but the urls are too long apparently! sad.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users