Buying Advice?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Wil

Wil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 07:56 AM

I'm going to replace my existing Sony F717 - Nothing wrong with the camera just looking for better quality. I take a lot of aerial pictures from helicopters.

Helicopters vibrate..... A lot..... - The sony does a great job of dealing with this but as I say I'm looking for better quality. The Sony F828 sounds very tempting and I can re-use my memory sticks, multiple batteries and chargers etc.

I was going to go for a Digi SLR but I read that they suffer from dust being attracted to the CCD every time you change the lense - which is a bit off putting. I know the new Olympus E-1 has a system to deal with this and I believe it's the only one that does but it only has a 5MP CCD - Am I right in assuming that the quality of the pics will be broadly speaking the same as the Sony F717 I already have or am I missing something.

The cameras I'm looking at are:

Sony F828
Olympus E-1
Nikon D100
Nikon D70
Canon EOS 10D
Canon EOS 300D

Any advice would be very welcome, particularly from owners or people who have had the experience of any of the above cameras.

Thanks in advance.
Will.

#2 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 05:59 PM

How about adding the Minolta DiMAGE A1/A2 to your list? They both feature image stabilisation technology which may help to combat the helicopter vibrations. The A1 has 5 megapixels and the new A2 has 8.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#3 Wil

Wil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 10:55 PM

OK I'm adding the DiMAGE A2 to the list aswell - I'm just starting to read the reviews, so if anyone has experience of this one please tell me what you think.

Thanks for the tip.

Regards,
Will.

#4 Jonchilds

Jonchilds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 02:53 AM

If you've got a camera that allows you to force a certain shutter speed that will probably help more than image stabilisation. The EOS 300D allows everything down to 1/4000s in one third stop steps.

I can shoot hand held with a 480mm equivalent lens on my 300d with the shutter speed forced to 1/600s and most images where the camera is held well there is little to no blur, presumably you wouldnt be using such a long lens, but forcing a fast shutterspeed would make quite a difference to camera shake caused by the helicopter.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users