Ratings Lately

20 replies to this topic

#16 Noddy

Noddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:17 PM

I would like to see more comments on photos that require them, if only the 'best' shots get comments, then how are us lesser photographic mortals to learn?

Even the lovely, wow, its beatiful comments are great and again really appreciated as it is good to know that I am close to the mark, but again any tips on how it could be improved would, on my part anyway, be gratefully received as I know that I cannot take the 'perfect' shot.

At the end of the day, if you like your picture that is the most important person happy.

Noddy the Nodster out.

#17 janzark

janzark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts
  • Interests:reading sci fiction, photography, endurance riding with my part bred arab gelding, working with rescued dogs, just adopted old dog from Dogs Trust in England

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:18 AM

just a quick word - when I first posted a photo, that in itself took a lot of nerve for me, and not surprisingly, they were not noted or commented on. I have learned a lot in the six months or so since I first got my digital camera, and looking at photos done by others on this site and reading the ratings and comments have taught me so much.

The first time a photo of mine was commented/rated I was over the moon, and then when someone rated one a 10(deservedly or not in the eyes of others) , I thought I had died and gone to heaven! some of my pics, like many others have attracted a wide range of comments and ratings on one photo. As long as reasons are given, and criticism is genuine and helpful I think it is good. It has given me enormous encouragement and enthusiasm over the past few months, and getting a few of mine chosen in the POTW category felt fantastic! something I never thought to achieve in my wildest dreams as I am my own severest critic and totally lacked self confidence in my ability to have anyone enjoy or praise my photos.

Please dont underestimate the positive aspects of the rating system and the site, there are two sides to any argument.

(I know I said quick word...) rolleyes.gif

thats all folks...

#18 Paul_77

Paul_77

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Computers, Photography, Motorcycles.

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:45 PM

One way to recieve comments is to comment on other peoples photos. They will someties then view yours and give you feedback.

Don't worry about "I'm not experienced enough" that just means you may not be able to give technical comment. But you can still comment on the aesthetics of a picture. Are the colours pleasing to your eye, does it have visual impact, something that stands out to you about the photo. The only important thing is to not be negative in the way you express your opinions.

Even if you can't take a decent photo yourself I don't mind you criticising mine, many great photographers here may say my photos aren't very good and they may well be right. If you think for example it has too much empty area around the subject or the background is to distracting from the subject those are fair comments and you don't have to be an expert to have an opinion.

As I said just don't be too negative as some people may get upset. eg.

The background looks really cluttered up and I can hardly focus on the subject, it ruins the picture.

say it something like this.

Colour is great and nice focus.
I think the background seems a bit cluttered, if it was softened or had less detail the subject would really stand out well.

#19 Paul_77

Paul_77

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Computers, Photography, Motorcycles.

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:45 PM

I'd like to thank those of you who have given constructive criticism on my photos.

Since I made that last post I have managed to get a lot more decent ratings and compliments. It is all due to your help.

Still posting a quite a few disasters smile.gif but your comments on those are where I can really gain.

Thanks all of you.

#20 janzark

janzark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts
  • Interests:reading sci fiction, photography, endurance riding with my part bred arab gelding, working with rescued dogs, just adopted old dog from Dogs Trust in England

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:37 AM

Hey, that's what it's all about! biggrin.gif

#21 stewart bywater

stewart bywater

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 03:37 PM

I am inclined to agree that most pictures are rated too highly. (Except for mine of course!) smile.gif Considering that 'five' should be an average photo, and 'ten' something that Testino could barely pull off, we are definitely overrating.
The only people who seem to post low ratings (1, etc.) are the same people who break the site rules by offering profane, insulting comments and contributing only negative energy to the community.
I do find, however, that there is a consistent but small group who always post helpful comments, and honest ratings with an explanation. This is, for me, one of the most important and beneficial aspects to this project.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users