20 replies to this topic

#1 potto

potto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:19 AM

Hi

Does anybody else think we are starting to rate a little bit too high all the time at the moment? I personally could really use some constructive criticism on my photos.

Afterall we have a five points 5 to 10 that mean a good photo?

What does everybody think?

Anybody? smile.gif

#2 muldoon_smooth

muldoon_smooth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:15 PM

I must plead guilty to this although I'm inclined to agree with potto. I think the rating system has become rather abused. Maybe it should be abandoned in the gallery altogether. That would also prevent rating without comment which is pointless and annoying.

It may be a better idea to use it in the competitions only, where members can rate all the entries from 1 to 10 (depending on number of entries) - each entry receiving a different score.

#3 Jogi

Jogi

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 06:34 PM

Yes ,I agree, there has been a tendacy to rate high recently but i think this in response to a recent mad.gif 'disturbance in the force' which seems to have inspired everybody to become overprotective ,which is kind of interesting. I think we should just see how this evolves. wink.gif
'There is no point pressing the shutter unless you are making some caustic comment on the incongruities of life. That is what photography is all about. It is the only reason for doing it.'......Philip Jones Griffiths

My gallery

#4 desertpea

desertpea

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:17 AM

I think you're right, potto. I know I've been guilty of sudden rushes of blood to the head with my 'marks', but I find it hard to rate anything that I think is less than 8 (7 at a push). Having said that, I find it unbelievably difficult to comment on/mark other people's photographs because I dont't feel qualified. Perhaps, instead of numbers, the ratings should be from 'poor' to 'excellent' with an option to hit a button that says 'I love it and I don't care about the technicalities'. It''s hard to be objective with photographs - people see things in different ways, and I know I don't really care about the marks; I'm always chuffed when someone gets something from what I've done. But, you're right, the high scores do seem to be over the top right now. As long as there's constructive comment accompanying whatever mark is given (and we all don't get too precious about positive criticism), that's fine by me. Sorry for rabbiting on here! unsure.gif

#5 desertpea

desertpea

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:20 AM

Forgot to add ... who will be the first to go for a 5? :wink:

#6 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:02 AM

Remember that the ratings have no influence on the outcome of the competitions - the winners are chosen by the judges alone.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#7 gazmaster

gazmaster

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:00 AM

Just my twopenny worth, the rating system in my opinion doesn't work, as many have mentioned there has been quite an influx of 10's recently. I would give a 10 for an image that I feel I would have on my wall at home, it wouldn't matter to me if the image wasn't totally perfect, which then inturn would upset the more technical photographers on this site.

I don't have the experience or know how to rate an image on the blog that is obviously done by a photographer with more experience than I, and sometimes I think this is where some of the bad feeling stems from, a semi pro photographer getting a low rating off of someone who definitely isn't in the same league can cause unrest.

As for the comments, that I feel is more important, comments and advice are there to help 99% of the time and I feel that my photography has improved due to the help I have received on this site. Getting rid of the rating system also will help the comment side of things, if you can't rate it, you will have to comment to get over your opinion of the image. It will stop the rating and no comment brigade.

All the Best

Gary (Gazmaster) ph34r.gif

#8 Kurt

Kurt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:46 PM

I think 9-10 should be reserved for the picture you would sell your soul to get. There just seems too much of the old pals act. I like to sort pictures by top scores, especially if I am short of time. All too often, however, the shots are boring, derivitive shots with no thought put into them by the photographer, especially with regards to composition.

#9 donmac

donmac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 06:52 PM

I think everybody is taking the ratings too seriously. The ratings are simply there to allow us to show our individual appreciation for photos. Its not life or death. The Blog is simply fun. I will give 10s to picsI really like. Its MY appreciation of a pic. It shouldnt affect anybody else, and I have no idea why its a problem. Ignore the ratings and enjoy the Blog. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

#10 donmac

donmac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 07:01 PM

PS As far as constructive criticism is concerned, I dont see a problem. I get plenty tongue.gif .

#11 etfon911

etfon911

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts
  • Interests:Love to write, shoot photos and nature.

Posted 22 October 2005 - 07:01 PM

Agree with Potto, most particularly with regard to 10s. If you look at the entries by category (e.g., Landscape, etc.), you will find many photos there with a 10, but rated by only one person. POW is another matter of abuse and seems to be suffering greatly from the buddy system. I confess that I have been guilty on rare occasion of overrating a photo, but typically only when I feel it has been abused unfairly by another rater. Agree with desertpea that rating photos under a 7 can cause hurt feelings, and most here don't want to dampen the spirits of someone who may be new to the craft/art. By the same token, giving a 1 seems to be pretty much of an insult, since ones have been given to photos that obviously were, at least technically, worth more. I tend to agree with Kurt about 10s. Many photos here are being done by very good photographers, and while they may be technically perfect, to me, a 10 is the one that moves my soul in addition to technical proficiency. I'm not a pro or even a semi-pro photographer, but going up against rating-buddies or people with large extended families (who vote) makes it nearly impossible for anyone else to get a 10. The emotional and negative personal comments being introduced are enough to drive any good photographer from the site....and I know more than a couple who have stopped posting here for that reason. P.S. Desertpea, you're just as qualified as the rest of us!

#12 donmac

donmac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 10:52 PM

Surely the ratings dont make any difference to anybody other than the recipient. I cant help feeling that you are treating the gallery as a competition, which I am sure is not what it was intended to be. And remember, we dont all have to follow the same rating system. I personally find it impossible to stick to a system and I know I maybe rate some pics too high. But so what. It may make somebodies day. Is that so bad.
I agree there's a problem with some people apparently marking unfairly, but I think that's something we have to live with.
Forget the ratings. Enjoy the photos. smile.gif

#13 gazmaster

gazmaster

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 23 October 2005 - 06:27 PM

Couldn't agree more with Donmac if I tried, hit's the nail right on the head.
At the end of the day, it is a site to enjoy the images that we all produce, it is a site to try new things out, it is a site where advice and criticism is welcome. So why not just enjoy it, and don't worry about how others rate an image. I have always said that if there is a photo I would like to have at Gazmaster Towers, I would rate it a 10. Ok it might be technically imperfect in some way, well it wouldn't bother me, if it appeals to me that's it.
Just my twopenny worth.

Gazmaster ph34r.gif
Regards

G@zz@

#14 potto

potto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:55 PM

Are ratings not part of the critique from which we try to learn from?

If photos are constantly given nines and tens then the real thrill of achievement and improvement is lost.

If a range of ratings is used and then a nine or ten is given the satisfaction from that rating along with a comment is far more satisfying surely?

Also if high ratings are continuously given will a false level of photographic competence be assumed by the poster?

But your right donmac and gazmaster the gallery should be fun and it is all subjective too and we shouldn't be too prescious about it!

#15 donmac

donmac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:53 PM

You make some very valid points potto.
I think another problem is that the quality of photos we are seeing here has improved so much over the last year.
I personally will try to rethink my rating system. The problem is I kind of get carried away a bit. smile.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users