Canon Powershot S1

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_JEAD_*

Guest_JEAD_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2004 - 09:22 PM

Just got my hands on the 3.2 megapixel PowerShot S1 from Canon. Some quick jottings in case anyone's interested.

I've never used a camera with image stabilisation before and this has converted me to the technology - I'm not sure how If I could go back to a conventional lens frankly.

The zoom is also long by digital standards - equivalent to 38 to 380 Canon claims - and would normally be nigh impossible to use hand-held at the long focal lengths. The IS, however, makes it possible to handhold shots in ordinary light, even at the longest setting and at shutter speeds as low as 1/30th. Extraordinary. You can zoom right into the faces if subjects if you want. I found using it quite liberating.

One thing I don't like about the camera is its poor low-light focusing ability at longer zoom settings. It really struggles, hunting desperately and failing no matter what focusing setting you give it. Time for an assist beam perhaps? These are distracting if photographing human subjects but at least they give you a chance of a shot.

Image quality is excellent despite the now legendary purple fringing (only a very slight problem here and there). The video mode is not quite what Canon cracks it up to be. You'd need a large CF card even to take a few minutes of video at the sub-DV standard of 640x480/30fps.

Other good things: ISO down to 50, extremely fast zoom and all-round performance is best I've used in its class, though the shutter/flash response is average.

Overall, then, a wee beauty.

#2 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 09:13 AM

Welcome to PhotographyBLOG JEAD smile.gif

Thanks for the mini-review of the Powershot S1 - you could always leave a full review here if you want:

http://www.photograp...7&cat=10&page=1

and maybe share a few photos from your new camera here:

http://www.photograp...llery/index.php
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users