Career Advice

5 replies to this topic

#1 Dawn397

Dawn397

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 11:14 AM

i'm currently studying a Fine Art Degree at Portsmouth university but already feel university isn't right for me, i want to start working! i was just wondering what qualifications (if any) do i need to start a career in photography? i have no problem starting right at the bottom but i would just like some information on how to get started! if anyone could help me i would be very grateful!!
thank you for your time.

#2 photosales

photosales

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:I am a news reporter who is also an amateur photographer and I am trying to contact any freelance or amatuer photographers who want their pictures or video of newsworthy events sold to the media.

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:10 AM

If you want to get into newspaper photography, the best thing is to look for work experience on your local paper and try and get onto a news-related photography course. If I were you, and you have a relatively decent digital camera and a car, I'd get in touch with the picture desk at the Porstmouth Evening News and ask if you can come in for some work experience. I'd also use some of your free time to go around the city centre, keeping your eye open for potential news-related pictures. If sports photography is something you are more likely to want to try your hand at, have a word with your local football club and ask if you can come in a take pictures for a portfolio you are trying to put together.

Something I'm planing to launch next year might be of interest to you though - which is an agency that sells newsworthy pictures taken by members of the public and amateur photographers to the media. At the moment, I am trying to build up a database of UK-based amateur photographers who want someone to sell their pictures to the media.

I'd aim to charge a sliding commission of anything between 50% and 30% of all picture sales on a month-long exclusive licence. If this is of interest, let me know.

#3 kurteth

kurteth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (Dawn397 @ Nov 2 2005, 11:14 AM)
i'm currently studying a Fine Art Degree at Portsmouth university but already feel university isn't right for me, i want to start working! i was just wondering what qualifications (if any) do i need to start a career in photography? i have no problem starting right at the bottom but i would just like some information on how to get started! if anyone could help me i would be very grateful!!
thank you for your time.

Start off like i did - i have no quilifications but i am now running my own studio - i started by contacting nurseries and child day care centres offering them a cut of profit of the pictures that i sold to parents - i go along with my digital camera no studio equipment, snap away sort them out in photoshop- watermark them and send them via email to the parents

#4 Term Papers

Term Papers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:49 AM

I just canít stop reading this. Itís so cool, so full of information that I just didnít know. Iím glad to see that people are really writing about this issue in such a smart way, showing us all different sides to it.

http://www.ghostpapers.com

#5 Tyler Zachary

Tyler Zachary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Photography, travelling, music. My wife and friends

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

Decide yourself! Listen closely to your inside World and then do what you like or always wanted! It's the best job that can be in this World!

#6 ronnyarthhurr

ronnyarthhurr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:31 AM

I just canít stop reading this. Itís so cool, so full of information that I just didnít know. Iím glad to see that people are really writing about this issue in such a smart way, showing us all different sides to it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users