Photo

What Is The Difference Between 100 125 400 Film?

5 replies to this topic

#1 fitzfitz

fitzfitz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:35 AM

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 100 125 400 FILM?
WHAT TYPE OF WORK WOULD BEST SUIT 100,125,400 FILM.EG: SUNNEY DAYTIME / FIRE WORKS AT NIGHT?

#2 Noddy

Noddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:49 PM

The number is the ISO or ASA (both are a standards organisation) rating of the film that states how quickly it reacts to light.
The higher the number the more sensitive it is. Each increment is twice as sensitive for example

200 reacts twice as quickly as 100 this means that you can use a shutter speed that is twice as quick in the same lighting conditions.

There is a trade off between slow and fast films where the grain of the film gets courser the higher the speed, although, with modern film technologies this is becoming much less of an issue.

In answer to your question

50 for very clear detail e.g. portraits etc
100 - 200 is great for out doors.
400 a decent brand makes for a good all round film, better in dimmer light, maybe sports events, fireworks maybe. depends on how long you want your exposure to be
800 + for very fast sporting activities for example.

I hope this answers your question.

Chris

#3 fitzfitz

fitzfitz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:39 AM

Thank you Chris for your replying to my question about iso film.
You can give me the very answer I was looking for about these films
Thank you again
Laura

#4 JayP

JayP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:15 AM

Do you know where to get these films though (dumb question you ask, I know!) but I only seem to find ISO400 films, I haven't found a high street chemists/small shops that do anything else.

#5 fitzfitz

fitzfitz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:56 AM

you should try jessops they don't have a large range but you will beable to find a range of films also you should look at jacobs. If you don't mind buying online have a look at www.7dayshop.com they have a large range and they are cheap.

#6 luci

luci

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 04:41 PM

late addition here but, since you're on the web 7dayshop.com is definitely great for all things film and photographic. it's a lot cheaper than jessops but you do have to wait up to 7 days, hence the name. for value that's where i shop for film, ink cartridges and both printing and printer papers

but if you need it next day Calumet is great but not cheap. that's on calumetphoto.com
hope that helps

Luci

oh and if you call fujifilm's technical department you used to be able to get a free "technical data guide". this little book has loads of helpful info regarding their films and how they react to different light/dark conditions. it'll give you a guide which will generally apply to most film makes and i've found it quite useful.
best of luck

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users