Photo

What Lens For Me?

1 reply to this topic

#1 MatthewD

MatthewD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Aviation and may be Aviation.... and Biology, Psychology.

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:37 PM

Hi all,

Well I am looking into buying my first digital SLR. It will be second hand (ebay hehe) I know nothing about lenses only they come in mm. I want my first lens, for taking general snaps not an untra super zoom or Fish eye sort of lens, just one for taking general snaps. Could anyone assist me in this. Money is not really an option. Also could some one exxplain to me what the differnt lenses would be best suited for? like 50mm - good for close up (Wrong but I hope you get my idea) If someone could explain or point me in the direction of a web page that could I help?

kind regards,
Matthew

#2 Paul_77

Paul_77

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Computers, Photography, Motorcycles.

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:34 PM

I would go for a zoom lens with a wide angle of 28mm for indoor and group shots of people where you can't get far back from you subject, also for great landscape shots, and a telephoto length of at least 150mm for portraits and when you want to get a bit closer in to a distant object.

As far as the use of the diferent focal lengths, what I said above is a good guide. 28mm to 50mm for general people shots and landscapes, 80 to 150 for portraits or getting a distant object larger. These are "general guidelines" and obviously there will be times when you do not follow that formula, it's called creativity. smile.gif

You do not have to buy a lens of the same brand as your camera. Sigma, Tamron and other companies make great lenses to suit all the best cameras like Nikon, Canon, Minlota etc, and they are usualy quite a bit cheaper.

Talk to your local camera shop first, maybe you won't buy it from them, but you can buy your film and other accesories from them so they should help you. And you don't have to tell them you will buy it on e-bay do you. biggrin.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users