Noddy - Sorry took me so long to respond, but to be honest, this was my first attempt at lightning, and I surprised myself. Here is my suggestion:
1. Get out of bed - (seriously, this happened at 2am, and I never want to get out of bed when it's raining ;0) Just get out there and enjoy!
2. I use a digi slr, and set the knob to Manual, then set long exposure at 20 sec or so. This gives long enough time for lightning to happen.
3. Use a tripod for the long exposure
4. Try to focus on a light or object that is approximate to the location of the lightning - also you can just focus at infinity so everything is sharp.
5. Use timer or remote release to reduce shake
Start hitting the shutter release!