Originally built for the R.A.F in 1944 at the famous Castle Bromwich works near Birmingham, PT462 started life as a single seat H.F Mk IX. It was delivered to 39 MU on 21st July 1944 being dispatched by sea on 9th August to the Mediterranean Allied Air Force based in Italy. It was known to have served with 253 Squadron coded as SW-A and is thought to have been used by 4 Squadron South African Air Force in the Mediterranean area as well.
In 1947 it was transferred to the new immerging Italian Air Force as MM4100 and saw 6 years service before being acquired by the Israeli Air Force in 1952. Details on its service with the Israeli's are very sketchy but it is known to have been coded as I.A.F 2067. After being withdrawn from service it was donated to a Kibbutz in the Gaza Strip for use in their playground.
In the early 1980's the remains were discovered by an British aircraft collector on the Kibbutz tip. The partly buried fuselage, engine and propeller were removed in 1983 and bought to Fowlmere in Cambridge. Property developer Charles Church purchased the remains in 1984 and the decision was made to rebuild the aircraft to flying condition as a two-seat Spitfire trainer version (Spitfire Tr9). Dick Melton who had served for many years with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight carried the work out over 3 years at Charles Church's private airfield.
Upon completion in 1987 PT462 made several display appearances, however following Charles Churches fatal crash in another of his Spitfires, PT462 was sold to an American collector based in Florida in 1994. Anthony Hodgson the current owner, who in early1998 had decided to fulfill a long held ambition to own a Spitfire, purchased the aircraft in the February. The aircraft was stripped down, shipped back to Britain in a container during the summer and delivered to Duxford. The aircraft was re-assembled by the Aircraft Restoration Company (ARCo) at Duxford under the guidance of John Romain and was successfully test flown on 5th August of that year.
The aircraft is based at the owners private farm strip in North Wales and is currently the only Spitfire based in Wales and to celebrate this fact the aircraft now has a Welsh Dragon Emblem .displayed on the tail.