PhotographyBLOG

PMA 2007 - Sigma 200-500m Lens
Date: Feb 05, 2016
Name: adam

Event Photography Awards Winners Revealed
Date: Feb 05, 2016
Name: Graham Lee

Win an X-Rite i1Display Pro and Colour Management Pro eBook!
Date: Feb 05, 2016
Name: Patricio Martinez

Latest Threads

MOST COMMENTS

Panasonic DMC-LX1 Announced (796)

Kodak Easyshare Z981 (514)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 (481)

Ricoh Caplio R3 Announced (422)

Panasonic DMC-FZ30 Announced (361)

Impossible B&W SX-70 Hard Color (265)

Fujifilm Finepix E550 Review (264)

Sony DSC-H5 and Sony DSC-H2 (242)

Canon G7 (227)

Samsung S800, Samsung S600 and Samsung S500 (209)

ARCHIVES

Digital Wedding Forum
Everyday Eye
Mark Goldstein
Mobile Phones
ShutterPoint

Canon Spring Launch 2007

Canon Spring Launch 2007I attended the Canon Spring Launch press event at The Bridge, SE1 in central London earlier today and tried out the new EOS-1D Mark III DSLR camera, plus the 16-35mm lens, 580 EX II flashgun, Powershot and IXUS cameras, and PIXMA printers. Hearing the EOS-1D Mark III rattling away at 10 frames per second for over 10 seconds was quite something! This new DSLR is 16% lighter than its predecessor, has a self-cleaning sensor based on the EOS 400D, and uses a 3rd generation CMOS sensor and two DIGIC III processors. Apparently the shutter is 50% more durable than the previous model - Canon have tested it to no less than 300,000 cycles. And the camera’s 19 auto-focus sensors and 26 focus assist points offer a 1 stop improvement in low-light. Canon demoed a EOS-1D Mark III saving files to a compact flash card, SD card and external hard drive all at the same time! Price will be £3049.99 in the UK and $3999 US. Click on the link below to see exclusive shots of all the new products that have been announced today (well, not quite all of them, I didn’t spend too much time with the new fax machines). Leave a comment if you have any questions and I’ll do my best to answer them…

Canon Spring Launch

Canon iP90v

Canon iP2500

Canon iP1800

Canon Spring Launch

Published: Friday, February 23, 2007

Compare Prices

Support PhotographyBLOG: Buy this product from one of our affiliate retailers (US first/red, UK second/blue):

Reader Comments

1. Nice article and pictures. The EOS ID Mark III looks amazing and is a future dream but way over my head for now. I am new to digital and just got a Rebel Xti. Looking for advice (chat rooms, etc) to discuss lenses. I shoot mainly soccer (10% night games) and own the 70-300 4-5.6 image stabelizing. It does a great job except at night but I want to move up to an "L" series. I need advice before investing. Any suggestions???

Larry Wolff at 06:24pm on Thursday, February 22, 2007

2. Mark,

There's no list of EOS kits that were launched as part of the EOS 20th Anniversary.

Can you provide it (maybe with prices)?

twin at 06:25pm on Thursday, February 22, 2007

3. Nice review Mark. I can't wait for the new 1ds to come out... Must be that 22mp camera people have been going on about for ages.

I'd recommend that you try the EF 28-135 IS USM. It's great in low light. I'm not sure whether 135 would be long enough to cover the football pitch though, although on an xti (400d) it should be about right.

Stewart Bywater at 06:32pm on Thursday, February 22, 2007

4. I have a list of the EOS kits, but no prices I'm afraid.

As there are 21 in total, I'll scan the document and make it available as a PDF.

Mark Goldstein at 06:33pm on Thursday, February 22, 2007

5. Here's the PDF of EOS Kits that I promised (1Mb PDF).

Mark Goldstein at 06:59pm on Thursday, February 22, 2007

6. I thought it has two 3rd generation Digic processors, not CMOS sensors.

Also, how was the live display?

Either way, I'm sure the professional sports photographers out there are getting out their piggy banks...

Scott at 07:33pm on Thursday, February 22, 2007

7. It's been a long day... yes, I meant a single CMOS sensor and 2 Digic III processors.

Mark Goldstein at 07:38pm on Thursday, February 22, 2007

8. I'm only interested in the model to replace the 30d, is there a chance it could also be released shortly... or is that it for Q1?

Joe at 07:49pm on Thursday, February 22, 2007

9. Will that be all of Canon's announcements? I'm looking out for upgrades to the A710 IS and the S3 IS.

shadow at 07:56pm on Thursday, February 22, 2007

10. Yes, Canon confirmed that these will be all the new products announced in the run-up to and during PMA, which starts on March 8th.

So all those rumours of the 40D and 1Ds Mark III cameras that you might have seen will continue to circulate for a while yet!

Mark Goldstein at 08:10pm on Thursday, February 22, 2007

11. Hopefully the announcements from nikon and olympus are as exciting...I value olympus the most because they ate the true innovators...sensor cleaning and live view were seen first on olympus.

pierre at 09:11pm on Thursday, February 22, 2007

12. the new mk III with new 16-35 2.8 LII .its a brutality combination.

Angel at 11:36pm on Thursday, February 22, 2007

13. Wow that sounds like a lot of fun! Wish I could have gone.

Samir at 01:10am on Friday, February 23, 2007

14. The press release for the MkIII sez the 1DS Mk III will be priced similarly to its predecessor.. but its predecessor the Mk II is more like $8K USD. Are you sure its going to be half that??

Mick O at 02:45am on Friday, February 23, 2007

15. ohhh this is not a successor to he full-frame Ds .. never mind .. sorry for my confusion

Mick O at 02:50am on Friday, February 23, 2007

16. In the last picture in the sequence, what are the small boxes on the table that the Canon rep is arranging?

Bill at 04:03am on Friday, February 23, 2007

17. I'm disappointed that the TX1 doesn't appear to have been there - that may mean that it could be more than a month or two before it hits the market. I want it now!

Any chance the TX1 was there, but you just didn't have a chance to play with it?

Avi Flax at 06:44am on Friday, February 23, 2007

18. Isn't the TX1 US only? That would explain it why they didn't show one at a UK press conference.

Zoltan at 10:29am on Friday, February 23, 2007

19. Bill, those small boxes were just the individual lenses that Canon UK were displaying (existing lenses that are being included in the kits, not new ones!).

Yes, the TX1 is US only I'm afraid. It wasn't even mentioned in the press conference, and Canon UK had no idea what it was when I asked them about availability in the UK.

Mark Goldstein at 10:43am on Friday, February 23, 2007

20. What are the differences, if they are known, of the new mk III with new 16-35 2.8 LII and with the previous 16-35 2.8? The question came if it is worth to buy this new lens.

Jorge at 03:07pm on Friday, February 23, 2007

21. How do Canon justify a price of $4000 versus £3050? $4000 equates to about £2045. With the extra £1000 one could fly to the US and shop in person! I suspect that those in the market for a body and some kit (lenses, etc.) will do just that.

The items are not designed or made in the US, so what's up with this?

David at 03:36pm on Friday, February 23, 2007

22. Zoltan, ah, that makes sense, thanks!

Mark, that is kinda strange, isn't it? Why would the TX1 not be available in the UK? Do you think it's really just a matter of timing - maybe they need to ramp up manufacturing?

Avi Flax at 04:15pm on Friday, February 23, 2007

23. I see the new EOS-1D Mark III purely a Canon "cash" issue, because the new MIII should replace the D1s and not the D1n. It looks like that next year there will be the MIII D1s with the new 2 Digic III processors.

Jorge at 05:05pm on Friday, February 23, 2007

24. Avi, the TX1 was not presented at yesterday's conference, was not on the press kit, and no-one from Canon UK or Europe that I spoke to knew anything about it.

I'll try and find out some more details behind the decision.

Mark Goldstein at 05:24pm on Friday, February 23, 2007

25. Jorge, here's what Canon say about the new 16-35mm lens:

"Canon’s engineers have completely redesigned the optics on the EF 16 35mm f/2.8L II USM to deliver higher contrast levels and improved resolving power. To ensure corner-to-corner sharpness and contrast throughout the focal range, the lens includes three types of aspherical lens elements (ground, replicated and glass moulded). Two UD lens elements virtually eliminate chromatic aberration, while Super Spectra lens coatings suppress flare and ghosting.

Rapid auto focus is driven by a virtually silent Ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM) incorporating Canon’s latest auto focus algorithms. Full-time mechanical manual focus override is also provided. As with all L-series lenses, the EF 16 35mm f/2.8L II USM is weather sealed to protect against dust and moisture.

A new 82mm Protect filter for the EF 16 35mm f/2.8L II USM has been released to coincide with today’s launch."

I was also told that it's smaller and lighter than the old version.

Mark Goldstein at 05:26pm on Friday, February 23, 2007

26. Will the Eos 20th anniversary lens kits be available in the US? I'm very interested in the Wide angle lens kit.

Thanks

TRR

Todd Reichman at 09:49pm on Friday, February 23, 2007

27. I wish to know whether Canon will be at Focus On Imaging 2007 at the NEC?

norman cozens at 09:59pm on Friday, February 23, 2007

28. Did I misunderstand or do you think the 1Ds will have the same size sensor as the Mk III

Jeff Mires at 10:02pm on Friday, February 23, 2007

29. I do not think that the next 1Ds will have the same MkIII sensor because for Canon, this is my view, is better to have to gamma of top cameras, one for sport and the rest instead of combining both. I personally I will wait, another 18 month?, for maybe the next MkIII Ds full frame. Meanwhile I will continue with my “old" EOS 1v.

Jorge at 10:59pm on Friday, February 23, 2007

30. Norman, I don't think Canon will be at Focus.

Here's a link to the website - there's a PDF of all the exhibitors:

Mark Goldstein at 01:22pm on Saturday, February 24, 2007

31. Todd, as far as I know, the kits will only be available in the UK, but I'm going to double-check this with Canon UK.

Mark Goldstein at 01:23pm on Saturday, February 24, 2007

32. Here's a link to the official EOS-1D Mark III white paper.

Mark Goldstein at 01:48pm on Saturday, February 24, 2007

33. Thanks for checking into that, Mark.

-TRR

Todd Reichman at 06:53pm on Saturday, February 24, 2007

34. Hi everyone.

Canon UK have confirmed that the EOS kit prices will be announced shortly, all kits are pan-European only, and the Powershot TX1 is a US-only model.

Mark Goldstein at 12:44pm on Monday, February 26, 2007

35. The full range of promotional / special offer kits is listed below, The Canon D-SLR kits will be available from 1st March 2007.

Photo Kits
    13 new Photo Kits
    • EOS 400D x 2
    • EOS 30D x 6
    • EOS 5D x 5
    In addition to this there are seven existing photo kits (listed below)

EOS 400D:

EOS 5D Standard Zoom Kit - £2,999.99
    • EF 24-70 IS U Lens

Existing Kits
    • EF 24-105mm Kit
    • Body Only Kit

Lens Kits
    There are eight new lens kits as follows:
    • EF 16-35mm 2.8L II + EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS U